Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix 1/48 BF109e Build
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 03:42 PM UTC
So these Decals are in Jessie's armour plated category. I did it the Micro way. Placed them on microset, then brushed them with microsol. No effect.

So then I looked around for solvaset but it is nowhere to be found brick-and-mortar. So I got some Tamiya Markfit, minimal result. So these decals just aren't sunk down I'm afraid.

Anyway I got this:

And it had a sprue for an FW190 (A by the looks of things) in it. Don't ask me why.

So now I have two German-but-not-correct props of identical diameter.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but that 190 screw is much too paddle for my Emil...

So as I mentioned the decals are on.

They are of reasonable quality and too thick....

Just have to tie up these loose ends and I'm done!

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 03:58 PM UTC
There's one more trick in the great decal setting wars: boiling water
What you do is boil some water, then dip a soft cloth in it. Wring most of it out quickly, then while it's still hot, press the cloth down on top of the decal (Don't scald your fingers while you're doing this; use tongs). Be very careful not to move the cloth from side to side; press straight down only. When the cloth has cooled, lift and check to see how well it worked. You may need to do this more than once for really stubborn decals.

I take it you need a replacement prop for poor Emil? Look no farther than Ultracast. They offer 3 veriations on Bf-109E props which are far superior to what you get in any kit. You may also be tempted by their wheels and other goodies
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 04:15 PM UTC

:[]--

What RLM Colours are in this splinter??

The Fujimi kit supplies decals for two aircraft with this scheme but only says things like "dark grey" for the paint map.

As for ultracast... they can tempt me with their wicked sinful aftermarket parts. But my genetic cheapness keeps me safe from bourgeois comforts like "accuracy" and "quality."
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 04:41 PM UTC
They look like 74 and 75 with a temporary application of white; perhaps a winter camouflage?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC
It is an unusual one. Very difficult to find any info/reference or it.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 01:21 PM UTC
I am tentatively finished. It needs only that I hone my sprue-stretching skills a bit, acquire swastikas, and add some scuffs in the paint. All these I will do more or less at once at some later date.

Here it is pre-dullcote.

And post.

I ended up going with the airfix prop. I just can't be bothered with getting an aftermarket one. The kit is very good, aside from leathery decals, and comparing it to my Messerschmitt book I think the prop is close enough for the girls I go out with.

There are issues, most notably with the decals and paintwork where my airbrush wash gummed up because I was foolish enough to stray from the Tamiya fold...

Like I say, as I am finishing my Bf110 and Fw190 I will finish weathering this, hopefully by then I will have extra swastikas to go around, and I may even venture the antenna at that time...

Please critique!
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is an unusual one. Very difficult to find any info/reference or it.

if you want a reference for that type of camouflage on a Bf 110, try 'Messerschmitt Bf 110 C, D and E, An Illustrated Study', page 187, bottom, published by Classic.
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:[]--

What RLM Colours are in this splinter??

The Fujimi kit supplies decals for two aircraft with this scheme but only says things like "dark grey" for the paint map.

As for ultracast... they can tempt me with their wicked sinful aftermarket parts. But my genetic cheapness keeps me safe from bourgeois comforts like "accuracy" and "quality."

'G9' as a unit code for ZG 1 is completely wrong. It should be 'S9', or the later code in small letters of '2N'.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
What about this.

I've seen photos and pictures of early war (1940) 110's in France and Norway in a solid green scheme. Alternately the same aircraft are sometimes depicted with splinter.

Seems they switched from solid to splinter? Is it 70/71 on the splinters? What colour would it be on the solid ones. Undersides would be hellblau I would think.
 _GOTOTOP