_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
tamiya mk1 spitfire 1/48 - finished.
foureyes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
It's about as finished as its going to be! Lots of firsts for me. First time with figures. First time with an airbrush. First time with a base. First car. This is about my fifth build, sixth if you include the tilly. Hope you all like it. I have really enjoyed building it and any constructive critique will be welcomed.

Thanks for looking everyone.
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:03 AM UTC
Just not fair...this is your fifth or sixth build and it's MILES (I guess kilometer for you ) beyond my 20+ builds! I just don't get how you newbies do it! Your construction, painting, base, weathering, and figure-work are all spot on. I've got nothing to add except I'd like to see some progress shots next time Maybe I'll learn a thing or two, who knows?

And if I may ask, what kind of airbrush and paint are you using? I'm having an awful time trying to get my setup to work properly.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Excellent build, did you paint on the markings? If not, you are awesome at decals, and weathering. Looks awesome.
foureyes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
Thanks so much for the comments guys. I used a cheap airbrush off eBay for a fiver. With can propellent. Revell paints and oils to weather with a smidge of pastles. I tend to read a hell of a lot of modelling magazines at work and chat to loads of people. (I am a barber!!) Just taking on board and all I am told I guess. There are a few progress pics on my other post in this forum. Next build I will prob puts tons on.
foureyes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent build, did you paint on the markings? If not, you are awesome at decals, and weathering. Looks awesome.

Decals are the kit ones. I stuffed one up, it crazed a bit. So I picked at the others with a tooth pick to look as though they were peeling off a bit. Thanks for the comments again.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 02:02 PM UTC
Beautiful job Kevin, I love it !

As the other guys have said, the whole picture just looks right. The stance of the figures, the weathering on the Spit and the Tilly, the oilstains on the airstrip, even the colour modulation on the rockwall.

I'm like Robby, I've done 20+ builds in the last few years (no dioramas yet), and I would still struggle to achieve the finish you have here.

A quick question. How did you do the chipping around the wing roots and panels, is that pencil or paint?

Cheers, D
foureyes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:45 PM UTC
Once again thank you. The chipping on the craft was done using a mixture of paint. And silver and and gunmetal pencils. I painted across the panel lines and redrew them in after. I used a .03mm pen to draw the panel lines in.
On the tilly I used the hairspray method. One rust coat one grey coat for primer and one top blue coat. Each coat with hairspray in between. Then used water to remove layers of paint. Then sealed it and washed it with inks and a bit of dry brushing.
Thanks again Kevin.
 _GOTOTOP