_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Weathering pigments/pastels
elvis3006
KitMaker: 81 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 06:35 AM UTC
i wish to weather my WW2 Aircraft, can anyone please recommend a quality product of pigment, patels and color pencils. i hear good things about prismacolor pencils. i want to be able to make oil streaks, stains and paint chips, exhaust and machine gun powder streaks. thank you.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Look for chalk pastels* in art stores. They come in sticks that you can grind or sand a little dust off and then brush or swab on to your model. You'll want black, white and brown shades. With a little practise you can mix up your own custom shades of greys, greyish browns and the like.

Silver prismacolour pencils are good for doing minor paint chips and wear in cockpits, wing roots and the like

*NOT oil pastels! They'll strip off enamels, and they smear rather than give dust when you sand them.
elvis3006
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 02:18 PM UTC
thank you
didgeboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 03:32 PM UTC
I am giving a BIG second to Jessicas suggestion. I have my original set that I bought when I was a teenager and it cost me $6. Best investment ever in art supplies. Cheers.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hi,

I used pigments before, but soon switched to chalk pastels. The number of shades and ease of handling, plus the effects that you can achieve with mixing and careful application is far more superior than any of the pigment I tried. It is less expensive, and the effects are stunning. One chalk pastel will last you long enough for simple weathering tasks.

All the best,
Entoni
elvis3006
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Look for chalk pastels* in art stores. They come in sticks that you can grind or sand a little dust off and then brush or swab on to your model. You'll want black, white and brown shades. With a little practise you can mix up your own custom shades of greys, greyish browns and the like.

Silver prismacolour pencils are good for doing minor paint chips and wear in cockpits, wing roots and the like

*NOT oil pastels! They'll strip off enamels, and they smear rather than give dust when you sand them.

the prismacolour pencils, would they be just the standard pencil crayons? thank you
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hi Rob,

Here's just a bit of my collection stored in a tin container:

I believe that there are many different brands for various markets, and I am buying these at the local artist shop. They're a bit more expensive, but they worth every pence. The chalk pastels are dry, and the fine particles can be easily dusted of with a brush and applied to the model. As you can see from the photo, I am using just two regular brushes that I cut down, so that the hairs are more firm.

Hope this helps,

Entoni
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the prismacolour pencils, would they be just the standard pencil crayons? thank you

They're a brand name so yes, standard coloured pencils. It's just that prismacolour is well known to have silver pencils in their range.
elvis3006
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 02:03 AM UTC
great! thank you for the help everyone.
kablitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi mate,
I use Velllejo weathering pigments,you dont need many,...black,white,.....black+white=grey,.......brown...brown+white=light brown.I got mine off e bay for £3.25 a 30g pot they are realy finely ground and stick well and go a long way.I also use a set of Tamiya weathering set (soot,rust&white),it's not a must but the soot is great for gunpowder burns!!.Dont get confused go with what fells best for you and your pocket!
Happy weathering!!
Mick.

_GOTOTOP