_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Does anyone know much about this model?
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:57 AM UTC
I just picked up off Ebay a 1/32 scale model of a Beaufighter by Revell/Lodelo. Anyone have any thoughs about this? The kit looks complete, with a few vac forrm parts and some etched metal parts, as well. I bought it because the price looked right, but I, for the life of me, have little or no knowledge about the Beaufighter, other than it was developed from the Blemheim/Beaufort. I'm not even sure as to what paint scheme to use, although I do have US decals included in the kit.

I wouldn't mind doing this as part of a diorama. Any thoughts anyone?
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
So far as I know this is the old Revell Mk1 kit with vacform and extras to make later marks of the 'plane. There are some good models made from this kit - a simple google search will turn up the articles and lots of colour schemes. Aftermarket accessories and decals should be around too.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi Max.

Here's a diorama idea for you, just a little project with 1/32 Aussie Beaufighters that one of my club mates put together recently.

Green Ghost Squadron

Cheers, D
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Max.

Here's a diorama idea for you, just a little project with 1/32 Aussie Beaufighters that one of my club mates put together recently.

Green Ghost Squadron

Cheers, D

Tell your friend he's one heck of a dioramist.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 12:39 PM UTC
Sorry for the comments hijacking your thread Max.

Richard, I will pass on your message to Phil. He likes to do projects on a grand scale. Here's another one with 1/48 Liberators (yes, plural) Wish Me Luck , and he is currently working on one incorporating 3 or 4 Tamiya 1/48 Lancasters, with full lighting and sound and rotating props.

Cheers, D
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hi Max.

I built the 1/32 Revell Beaufighter about 3 years ago and found the fit to be really great for such an old kit. Not that many details, but it looks like a Beaufighter when it is finished.

Cheers
Warren
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 01:17 PM UTC
I've just started research on this, so it's gonna take a while. The kits looks pretty good, even though the box itself has seen better days, however. I'm wondering if a pair of after market engines might help, though, such as from Vector of Engs & Things. But, like so much else, there is a lot of homework to do before anything definite can be started.

I'm still struggling with an M11 for my KHAi 3 airliner. Trying to get the rocker arms right on that one.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 01:23 PM UTC
I don't mind the hijacking, as long as I can return the favor.

Speaking of B24's, I have a patent drawing that shows a twin-fuselage B24(D models), joined with one wing and one tail. The tail has 4 rudders, and the wing has six engines. I bought two 1/48 scale 24D's just for the project. It'll span just over 40 inches, and I think that it'll look magnificent. Dunno about the paint scheme, although desert pink might be the way to go. As to unit markings, well, the sky would be the limit, so to speak. Any suggestions?

But it would make for a fascinating what-if project.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:08 PM UTC
Of the two engine options, I'd say go with the Vector; they'll be miles in front of the E&T engines in terms of detail.

For markings, Aviaeology have just re-released their RCAF 404 Sqn Costal Command sheet in 1/32 for several different TF.Xs
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 04:20 AM UTC
Yes, I just looked at the Vector site, and the engines look far better. Looks like I'll be ordering a pair some time in the relative near future. It's kind of interesting how thinkgs turn out doncha think?
 _GOTOTOP