_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Mig-29 assistance
thehermit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 02:45 PM UTC
Hey gang, I'm looking for some help getting upgrades for the Academy Mig-29AS Slovakian version, which I'm told is the better Mig-29 out there. I need to upgrade the tub and the gear bays so they say, so what do you all suggest...?

Regards,
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 10:27 AM UTC
The Academy MiG-29AS kit basically the same as the standard MiG-29A kit; so the same issues and build procedures apply to both. Also note that Academy's MiG-29AS decals are way off in the colors. If wanting a lot more markings, get the Kopro decals.

http://zabza.info/mdl_res/MiG-29/scale/kp_91060.html

You may want to address some of the major shape inaccuracies first; nose/radome, gear, upper engine bulges, intakes, etc...

Here’s the main list of discrepancies I noted when researching and building Academy's MiG-29 kit.

Here are the discrepancies I noted when building a couple of Academy MiG-29s:
- All the missiles & pylons are wrong and best replaced.
- The cockpit is a joke; being way too shallow and the detail is weak. The seat looks more like a chair than a K-36. I highly recommend the Aires cockpit.
- The canopy has profile and size issues, but nothing to really worry about, unless you know of a replacement.
- Nose/radome shape is too pointed, but there are corrected radomes available from Pisco and QB market; another recommendation and note Pisco is the better of the two.
- The LERX is not well represented, but there's really not much you can do about that.
- The vertical tails have some shape issues, but don’t exactly recall off hand.
- Both upper engine bay bulges need to be reshaped by shaving down the aft “flare” bulging: See below
- Wingtip RWR antennas, and light housing require reshaping.
- Intakes are too narrow; approximately 25%. No correction exists for this problem; yet
- Aside from raised dashes the wheel wells are void of detail and do not fit cleanly; resulting in major gaps. Aires provides wheel wells, but they are as bad to fit as the stock ones.
- Exhausts are not even close and are best replaced.
- Speed brake hinges way too thick; Shave down the hinges to a more realistic scale thickness or use PE.
- The speed brake center dome is too small in diameter.

- Corrections required for the Landing gear:
The main struts are too long, which results in the model’s aft end being too high or level. About an 1/8” needs to be cut from the main struts. This will give the MiG-29 characteristic “Ass-End” squat. Re-contour the NLG dragbrace/door assembly by simply filling in the rod like bulge to a chime cross section.

The multi-part nose section was the worst of the fit issues I encountered. One approach I always have to building any model aircraft is to build up the fuselage sections in complete halves and/or upper wing halves to the main or upper fuselage. The MiG-29 was no different, as I first mated the main lower forward section with the NLG wheel well to the lower main fuselage. I then mated the upper main fuselage to the forward cockpit section fuselage. Before going any further, I suggest knocking down the exaggerated engine bulge flares, as I did here in my second MiG-29 build:

You’ll notice a white spot on the right aft bulge flare. You’ll need to reinforce the inside of the flare bulges, as the plastic thins out quite a bit if you’ve properly removed the flare. I applied about a 1/16” layer of Miliput to the inside of the flare bulge and it held like a rock.

The intake ducts are plagued with major punch holes and seams, but these can be covered with the intake ramp/plug. Watch out for the wing joint, as it tends to be weak. With a lot of work and AM, a nice MiG-29 can still be made from this kit; though not an easy task as I can attest.

The following are the best aftermarket corrections and upgrades:
-Pisco Nose
-Aires Cockpit
-Aires Wheel Wells
-Aires Exhaust
-Edaurd Wheels

Mike V
 _GOTOTOP