_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Which A-10 ??
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi guys can anyone tell me what the best A-10 to get is ?? im looking for a 1/48 scale kit .. Thanks guys happy modeling
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:08 PM UTC
I have read earlier that the best were the Hobby Boss kits.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
2nd the hobby boss IMHO
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:35 PM UTC
Save yourself the aspirin and get they Hobby Boss kit. Yeah the Revell is somewhat better but will require more work. Here is a link that may offer some help.

A-10

Happy Modeling,
Joe
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hobby Boss is preferred mainly as its overall less difficult to build and the new A-10 kit on the block. However, it does suffer from some significant shape inaccuracies. The Monogram A-10 is by far the most accurate shape wise and it also has raised riveting, which is accurately applicable to the real aircraft. The Monogram kit absolutely nails the nose and canopy profile; something the Hobby boss and Italeri kits missed.

The Monogram kit does have some significant fit issues. Care must be given around the engine nacelle pods; but then again every A-10 has its most of its major fit issues in this area. The wing fit needs attention too. The inlet/engine fan is quite off and too shallow; same as every A-10 kit on the market. Overall detailing is quite good, though a bit soft in the cockpit. The cockpit detail is quite good, but the seat is poorly done.

The main problem with the Monogram A-10 is that it has never been updated to keep up to date with the real aircraft’s latest configurations i.e. LASTE, Tube ladder, EGI, DRA, ….

Overall, fit tends to be fairly good for an A-10 kit. The Hobby Boss A-10 has that fat-blunt nose; a result from scaling down the 32nd Trumpeter kit. The overdone recessed riveting ruins what otherwise would have been nice pylons! The under wingtips (where the CHAFF/FLARE Modules are mounted) are way too shallow. Wheels are quite inaccurate and those vinyl tires are terrible; they’re best replaced. Though the inlet/engine fan is better done than other A-10 kits, it’s still too shallow and the center engine fan cone looks ridiculous as it looks like a button.

Hobby Boss’s A-10 benefits from being a later release A-10 kit as it has most of the latest upgrades; LASTE, Tube ladder, EGI, DRA. Unfortunately it’s not complete or all that accurate as they missed the lower altimeter antennas on the lower horizontals and the DRA is totally wrong.

In both kits you get “outdated stores”; nothing relevant from Desert Storm on. While this is understandable for the Monogram kit which is still an “80s era A-10 (and doesn’t really lie about it), this is unacceptable for Hobby Boss being a lot newer kit. No matter though, as the HB kits stores are quite dismal overall.

The good news is that no matter which kit you build, there are updates and corrected Engine Fan/Inlets available; a bit of a plug for Sierra Hotel Models. The Monogram kit really captures the true shape and profile of the real A-10. Hobby Boss’s is a decent runner up looks wise and does have its fans. It will also set you back a lot more than the Monogram kit, as it’s significantly “over priced” for what you kit. Even so, it builds up well as proof from Joe's excellent HB A-10.

Here's the Monogram A-10 with SHM A-10 inlets, closed decelerons, and LASTE/Tube ladder set.

Mike Valdez

www.sierrahotelmodels.com
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 08:19 AM UTC
Great info Mike, Thanks!

Joe

Mike I'll call you tonight, got some info for you
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thanks very much for the great posts guys , i have gone for the monogram kit as i want to have the accurate shape and profile of the plane iv managed to get one today on ebay for £20 i thought that was quite reasonable. thanks to Mike for his great info regarding the differences in the kits and to Joe for some good tips in is excellent build post ..Keep up the good work chaps and thanks again
 _GOTOTOP