_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Where do you buy from?
littlezav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 11:33 AM UTC
Hey all,
i have been building for about a year now and im sick of the website i go to so i was wondering where you guys get your kits from, preferably people from the US websites from anywhere are welcomed though id like to explore more websites then the one i currently use, thanks in advance
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 11:51 AM UTC
Over the years I've purchased most of my models from Squadron (I've often joked with them that I financed their move from Michigan to Texas)and by milling around my local Hobby Shops. When buying supplies I always go to my local shops.
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:15 PM UTC
www.greatmodels.com

www.spruebrothers.com

www.freetimehobbies.com

www.scalehobbyist.com

I also shop EBay for bargains,but watch for shipping costs,there are bargains out there

I find Squadron more expensive then the others,and their search engine leaves a lotto be desired
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:31 PM UTC
spruebrothers for me
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
I do quite a bit of business with Squadron as well. They offer good service and a great number of kits. Russell
littlezav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:50 PM UTC
thanks a lot guys, i have another question, what brand do you guys try to stay away from and which brands do you prefer? -leon
brentwal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 01:12 PM UTC
Squadron

VLS back in the day

Great Models

Sprue Brothers

eBay if I have to or find a good deal.
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 07:02 PM UTC
Mostly i buy from Hannants of Lowestoft,living forty miles down the road in Norwich and working delivering in the area it`s no biggie to pop in.
Having said that i`ve started to use my local Model Zone store more regularly as they occaisionaly have some cracking bargains (got a 1/35 M-151 TOW kit for less than a fiver last saturday !).I still surf E-Bay regularly to find those rarer kits,only problem there is it`s becoming just as expensive to buy online as it is to get it from the LHS once you`ve added in the cost of postage !.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:22 PM UTC
no real brand I don't stay away from. all brands have their good and bad kits just do your research on the subject and there are plenty of reviews and builds to bring you to the right kit for that subject hope this helps.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 12:27 AM UTC
I used to get my kits at the hobby shops, but prices are much better on the internet. I got a small stash, but I decided I'm not going to get more kits until the ones I have are finished. As for colours, glue and supplies I prefer going to the shop.
Here are my favourite web dealers.
*Luckymodel.com. Pros: excellent service and prices, especially for newer kits, no minimum order. Some products have free shipping with registered mail and parcels can be tracked. Cons: the packages may take long to arrive depending on the situation at the post office in HK. Moreover, living in Italy makes me experience trouble sometimes because big packages are inspected at the customs, and there seems to be only one customs office in the whole country for package coming from Asia, so a parcel could take 3 days to reach Italy from HK, but will take 10 days from its arrival to be delivered to the final customer!
*Hannants. Pros: maybe the best and biggest stock of products around the web, no trouble with the customs (as far as you live in the EU). Cons: minimum order and higher prices.
*Modelimex.cz. Pros: friendly and helpful service, good stock of products, especially Eastern European brands. Cons: their payment system initially charges the maximum shipping charges but actually gets the requested amount. Weird!
*Modelhobbies.co.uk: tried only once for a small kit a couple of years ago, they stock a good selection of products. I read some negative comments about them but my kit arrived in a sturdy package with no problem after a week from the purchase.
 _GOTOTOP