_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WWI Forums
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:32 AM UTC
In my opinion it is getting hard to find any "How to's...." on WW1 airplanes on the everyday postings to some WW1 forums.They now seem to have become nothing more than mutual admiration societies.Where's the beef ? Where are all the day to day threads on how to do new and exciting things,like building dioramas? Most "how to" inquires are now just sluffed off to the personal blogs of the so-called master craftsman where there is little or no interaction to be had.
Just my opinion !
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 01:38 AM UTC
Certainly, you are allowed your opinion, and as good as it is; I disagree.

I believe most of us are not trained artist. Rather, we are mostly a collection of the normal; oilfield workers, clerks, bankers and bums that just happen to like modelling. Whats wrong with looking at a posted picture, seeing that metal tube has replaced the plastic on an aircraft stut, and complimenting the effort. I just saw that on a forum and learned "How To".

Perhaps a modelling effort needs to be admired, even if its sloppy, because thats all the modeller is capable of just now.

To many forums are throwing insults and contain rampant battles over something for which they know nothing. One even closed its modelling section for this very reason. Are those the "How To" articles of your query?

Just my opinion.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 03:07 AM UTC
I am not a trained artist either just a retired aviator having some fun with art.

I think that it is a disservice to all the non-trained artists to believe that they are not capable of rising to the level of the artist because of how they may now or how they did earn a living.
As far as insults are concerned I will never accept personal attacks against me.My work yes,me no !
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In my opinion it is getting hard to find any "How to's...." on WW1 airplanes on the everyday postings to some WW1 forums.They now seem to have become nothing more than mutual admiration societies.Where's the beef ? Where are all the day to day threads on how to do new and exciting things,like building dioramas? Most "how to" inquires are now just sluffed off to the personal blogs of the so-called master craftsman where there is little or no interaction to be had.
Just my opinion !

John,
I respect your opinion but I too disagree with your perspective on this. The many Build Logs posted here are repleat with great "how to" info. I learn from them almost daily, incoporate them into my efforts, and as a matter of courtesy acknowlege the help to the author along with compliments on his work and for sharing his talents. Additionally, when I do a BLOG I strive to present the (very) occasional brilliant idea or technique I discover to share it with other members and I follow the example of others who "walk you through" their builds step by step. If you review the approximately 20 BLOGs running in the KoTS II Campaign you'll see that I am not alone. This is the primary reason I so enthusiastically support and participate in Campaigns; they are a learning tool, promote positive interaction and feedback from others who, as Guy points out, are not artists but rather ordinary folks like myself who enjoy this hobby. The contributions appropriately encompass the models of many absolute masters of the hobby and range to the efforts of the beginners (whose efforts we need support else we will go the way of the buffalo) None is received with other then compliments, encouragement, and respect and I would not be here if it were otherwise.
Your chosen genre of the Diorama is special, your work spectacular, and you share it with the community very well and for a noble cause. I read and follow your posts faithfully and acknowlege that you are indeed an "artist" in your chosen venue and are also succesful, like others in our group, at marketing your products if only to regain your direct and indirect costs. I'll admit this latter comment may be mis-interpretation or perhaps subjective on my part.
I guess what I'm saying is that we all have a contribution to make to the hobby, the noble cause of preserving and commemorating the subject we love or just the sheer enjoyment of building replicas of our chosen subjects (as stand alone models or running the spectrum of settings and theme all the way to a full blown Diorama such as you choose), be that Early Aviation or indeed all the other categories. Also very important is the fellowship , wholesome experience, and positive forum we share here at Aeroscale. No one mans preference, product, or perspective is better then anothers. As our Host and Moderator often states, "model on" and keep it positive. I'm having a blast and hope it stays that way!

I look forward to continuing to follow "Coming Home" and others in your efforts; in the meantime I'll continue to "model on" myself and can definitely state that the "blast" will continue on my part.
Last, at the risk of getting maudlin, I want to state that although I'll probably never personally meet or share a beer with the many great folks I've met through this venue from all over the world, their support, friendship, and shared values and interests are special to me and that can not be said for several other sites; that alone is perhaps why I speak out at any hint of criticism of our members, the Forum, or the atmosphere we are privileged to enjoy.
Sorry for the long winded response, as you and I both know the older you get the longer it takes to get your point across!
Cheers, (and happy modelling)
Lance

PS
Just read your response that arrived as I was typing this. I don't agree with a "personal attack" approach either and I don't beleive that was the previous commentators intent.... I too am just a retired aviator having fun with my chosen subject(s) and like Guy infers, trying to keep things on a positive footing. As an aside, no one could possibly attack your work; you are an artist in your field and I'll continue to enjoy and respect your efforts as I hope you will with mine and others.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 04:43 AM UTC
Amen and thanks !
Cheers! John.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
While I peruse this thread I am of the opinion that John was refering to "other WWI forums". There are few if any other sites such as Aeroscale (& other Kitmaker relates sites) work on the premise where the site itself is based on reviews of kits.

I note that at times people from other forums tend to comment that I put too much history into a kit review. They simply want to know what is good or bad about a kit. In "blogs", (which we seem to have plenty of) this is what we discuss. Here we generally do "first look" or "in the box" reviews initially and I like to use the detailed blogs of other builders to refer to for more information. This way you get more than just my opinion.

One fellow on one of these "other sites" referred to the early aviation forum to "Lawsonscale". I don't think he meant it as a slight or in a derrogatory manner but it is precisely the reason I want to have others input to kits. I am just an editor here and a good editor relies on a pool of resources. The Aeroscale members are that resource. This is your website. I also think that is why you all enjoy being here. Because your creative and genuine input matters here.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While I peruse this thread I am of the opinion that John was refering to "other WWI forums". There are few if any other sites such as Aeroscale (& other Kitmaker relates sites) work on the premise where the site itself is based on reviews of kits.

I note that at times people from other forums tend to comment that I put too much history into a kit review. They simply want to know what is good or bad about a kit. In "blogs", (which we seem to have plenty of) this is what we discuss. Here we generally do "first look" or "in the box" reviews initially and I like to use the detailed blogs of other builders to refer to for more information. This way you get more than just my opinion.

One fellow on one of these "other sites" referred to the early aviation forum to "Lawsonscale". I don't think he meant it as a slight or in a derrogatory manner but it is precisely the reason I want to have others input to kits. I am just an editor here and a good editor relies on a pool of resources. The Aeroscale members are that resource. This is your website. I also think that is why you all enjoy being here. Because your creative and genuine input matters here.

You are exactly right Stephen, that is why I specifically said "some".It is funny how people read what they want to into other peoples comments or opinions.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 02:10 AM UTC
I guess my opinion made a direct hit on one of the WW1 forums as I now have been banned from reading their forums.

Oh well,onto a more positive note.The Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa has recently re-arranged some of their displays and I am happy to report that there is now more emphasis on dioramas both 1:1 scale and smaller.This looks like a growing trend away from the "sign and rope" era as that approach just doesn't cut it anymore.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess my opinion made a direct hit on one of the WW1 forums as I now have been banned from reading their forums.

John,
You got to be kidding; do they burn books too??
Cheers,
Lance
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC
In my opinion building an old car and calling yourself a diorama maker is a bit of a stretch.A diorama is not just a collection of car parts no matter how nicely it is done.
I think that it is time to start a new thread on exacely"What a Diorama is and what it is not?".A lot of modelers seem to be confused on this.A stand alone model is just that,a stand alone model.
If the intention is to use it someday as part of a diorama can one call himself a maker of dioramas based upon a single completed model,of course not!To be a diorama at the most elementary level it has to be interacting with something.Another object ? it's environment ? something !
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 06:29 AM UTC
though I don't write too often I like this thread because it addresses two points. Help and evaluation.

Here there is very little criticism,and a lot of that I have noticed in joking. If someone asks for help more than likely they will get it, this is great espicially for our rather complicated choice of modelling (Struts and rigging and all that)(almost as bad as cars and sailing ships) the evaluations are what I like... there is always a way to do things better.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 12:43 PM UTC
For me a diorama must tell a story, good or bad. Now we have a diorama forum in Armorama but when it involves an aircraft often we put it in the Aeroscale forum relevant to the time period. I can go either or both to post.

As I have said on the subject in my previous posts some dioramas can do without humanoid figures but the evidence to the objects in the scene must tell a story. I am not a big fan of corpses being depicted but some storylines are about death. In the final analysis one has to ask, what am I trying to get across. Like a painting are you just putting something on display or depicting an event?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

though I don't write too often I like this thread because it addresses two points. Help and evaluation.

Here there is very little criticism,and a lot of that I have noticed in joking. If someone asks for help more than likely they will get it, this is great espicially for our rather complicated choice of modelling (Struts and rigging and all that)(almost as bad as cars and sailing ships) the evaluations are what I like... there is always a way to do things better.

Just thought it bears repeating.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just my opinion !

Hello John:

You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine. You obviously can't be referring to this site, as this site is loaded with how to's in reference to WWI aviation modeling. In my case, I am basically an OOB modeler, but; I like to throw in some PE and dress up a kit, I have learned much on this forum. I like the friendly atmosphere, and yes there is a lot of great work, but as has been mentioned before, each modeler enters this forum at their particular level and ability. I entered quite timidly as the work was and is outstanding. I also am on another site that I enjoy as much as this. I don't enjoy personal attacks, or nit picking about historic impotence that only engenders strife, hate and discontent.
I personally am not interested in doing a diorama. My skill set and patience just aren't up to the task, mostly my patience. I admire the diorama's that I have seen, that tell a story, or just offer a neat display of the model in a scale setting. Hopefully you will find this site as enjoyable and as instructive as I have. You offer a lot to the dioramist who wants to do more. Nothing kills enthusiasm for a hobby quicker than biting criticism. I don't find this site a "mutual admiration society", I find it a site of mutual respect, encouragement and admiration for the individual and the work of that individual.

Best

Mark
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 06:19 AM UTC
You are absolutely right Mark! If you had read my opinion correctly you would see that it says "other WW1 sites."
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just my opinion !

John,
I would agree with your statement concerning the lack of "How To's on some WW I forums as a purely "How To" thread.But many tips and new and different techniques are readily available in the everydays threads by simply reading them. Countless times I and others have asked questions of the the modeler and naturally received the requested information.Sometimes directly in a reply in the thread itself or through PM.

As for the mutual admiration societies I honestly believe you are confusing that with a desire to encourage other modelers both those very skilled and those not.That being said If asked for constructive criticism some will readily clime in and others will not.After all very very few will criticize someone elses under construction project repeatedly in an effort to help that modeler,now would they.

"I guess my opinion made a direct hit on one of the WW1 forums as I now have been banned from reading their forums."
That truly is a shame as banning in most if not all forums is usally a last resort. It's beyond me how anybody a be truly banned for just reading the thread.Actually posting and breaking one or more of the rules in doing so is much easier to understand.Please understand I'm not expressing doubt but trying to to make sence for how such a thing could happen. It's just that being banning for reading just runs counter to my sence of fairness.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 10:08 AM UTC
I am not surprised as it is the same group that was responsible for the demise of the Aerodrome modeling forum.Unfortunately their leader's ego seems to know no bounds,he always wanted his own site at any cost , free of any and all rules and regulations except his own.Now he has got it.Being banned there is a badge of honor for me !
This post was removed.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 01:37 PM UTC
Everyone, keep personal woulda, shoulda, coulda out of this. It is the sensible thing to do.
This post was removed.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Everyone, keep personal woulda, shoulda, coulda out of this. It is the sensible thing to do.

Ya I guess that you are right Stephen .Nuff said.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
For future reference. The topic of other sites is simply too much of a mine field when we reference personal issues. Things can and do get out of hand. I am closing this thread.
 _GOTOTOP