_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
ICM and PM kits. How good?
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
Just a quick question.
How good are the PM Spitfires and the 109 ICM kits as they seem to be very cheap.

TIA

Brian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 02:51 AM UTC
The ICM 109s are good, but less refined than those from other manufacturers. PM kits are on level with early Matchbox; generally good shapes, but the small details are just not there. What detail you get is crude and chunky and the decals often need replacing. They're good kits to practise superdetailing with because they're cheap enough that you don't mind ruining one if things go pear-shaped.
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 06:38 AM UTC
Thanks Jessie
What would u recommend in 1/72 for a 109 E

Beian L
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 07:37 AM UTC
The ICM kit is buildable with "some modelling skills required", and not all that expensive. If you want to spoil yourself, get the Tamiya. Here's a build of the ICM kit and a discussion of its comparisson to the Tamiya.

In older kits the Hasegawa wasn't all that bad for its time, the Matchbox had excellent exterior shapes, and even the Airfix kit was acceptable. With a little aftermarket for the interior and canopy they can still stand up to the Tamiya.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC

Besides the Zvezda Me-109Fs and maybe a few Es or older larger scale oddities, there are no Me-109 kits that are even remotely accurate in any scale, especially Hasegawa.

The Hasegawa 109G I am working on is into its fifth year of large corrections (plus 5 previous attempts over 13 years), and still a long way away... ICM has the common wrong sharp corners depiction of the rear fuselage, which is terrible...

Build Zvezda, they are cheap.

Gaston
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 11:04 AM UTC
Gaston, again you don't read the whole post, Brian is looking for 1/72 and unless you know something different Zvezda don't as yet make a Bf-109 in 1/72.

Brian, I'd go with any of Jessica's recommendations, the Tamiya kit will fall together, ICM is nice and cheap as is the Airfix offering while the Hasegawa kit falls in between cost and detail wise. If you can find it the Matchbox kit can build up nice.

PM inbound
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Hasegawa 109G I am working on is into its fifth year of large corrections (plus 5 previous attempts over 13 years), and still a long way away... ICM has the common wrong sharp corners depiction of the rear fuselage, which is terrible...

Yet if you built it out of box with an aftermarket prop you would end up with a decent looking Gustav.

Just saying...........
 _GOTOTOP