_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard Fw190 A-6
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 11:45 AM UTC
Having spent all this week pouring over the lush glossy instruction booklet of the 1/48 Fw190 A-6 kit I started making the first halting steps towards getting the most out of my first build of an offering from Eduard. For those who haven't had the pleasure of popping off the lid of one of these kits let me say its a real treat! This build is going to be for the Wuerger campaign but since I've spent so much mental energy planning for this build I figure I might as well double up and use it as an excuse for my first build log.

the kit.

Stay tuned...

Cheers,
Fred
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 09:48 PM UTC
Great choice subject, Fred.
I have build the one on the box (white 11) a couple of years ago, but I screwed up the colors a bit - the fuselage became too dark compared to period photos. Maybe I will build it again - soon...

May I suggest that you replace the kit wheels with resin ones, and maybe also the gun barrels. I don't think these items are up to the standard of the rest of the kit.

I'm looking forward to your build!

Regards
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 11:55 PM UTC
You read my mind Kenneth. I already have resin wheels and I'm ordering brass barrels too.

The thing about this kit is that it is so well engineered and so detailed that is screams out to have you "pull out all the stops". So a big part of my planning is determining how much beyond OOB I want to go. (I do need to finish this by the campaign deadline.)

The plane has wonderful detail and really nice plastic quality, however, its only designed to have the gun deck displayed open. I think that is a shame as the real "star" of this kit is the BMW 801 engine. So to that end I', taking advantage of all the extra parts provided in the kit to refashion the engine hatches to be displayed open (without having to resort to yet another aftermarket detail set).

Right now I'm eyeing the Quickboost flap set for this kit and deciding whether or not to drop the flaps.

Cheers,
Fred
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 12:23 AM UTC
Dropped flaps - always looks great on an Fw190! I have a set of quickboost flaps for a future F-8, and also a set of Eduard PE flaps. I'm not looking forward to the folding job of the latter though...

To display the engine you have to cut a few panels. Eduard makes PE "doors" for better scale thickness, and also a lot of PE details for the engine. I also have these lying around for a future project :-)

To close the gun cowling you have to remove the upper part of the guns, as far as I remember.

While we are at it, you might consider replacing the seat also, at least if you are going for an open canopy. The kit seat is a bit thick, and I'm not even sure it has the right shape.

Well, good luck. I will be following this one...

Regards
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You read my mind Kenneth. I already have resin wheels and I'm ordering brass barrels too.

The thing about this kit is that it is so well engineered and so detailed that is screams out to have you "pull out all the stops". So a big part of my planning is determining how much beyond OOB I want to go. (I do need to finish this by the campaign deadline.)

The plane has wonderful detail and really nice plastic quality, however, its only designed to have the gun deck displayed open. I think that is a shame as the real "star" of this kit is the BMW 801 engine. So to that end I', taking advantage of all the extra parts provided in the kit to refashion the engine hatches to be displayed open (without having to resort to yet another aftermarket detail set).

Right now I'm eyeing the Quickboost flap set for this kit and deciding whether or not to drop the flaps.

Cheers,
Fred

I think that is indeed the only way to use this kit, as it uses its strong points and hides much of what is wrong about it.

Opening features aside, this is easily Eduard's worst kit ever since their Tempest, and that was practically their first...

With the availability of the much better Hasegawa A-5/6/8, I don't understand why anyone would want to build the Eduard kit closed up...

Gaston

cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC
Well Gaston,

I'm committed to the Quick Boost Flap set. (ordered this morning) I already cut out the old flaps.

As to the kits strengths/weaknesses, I'll withhold final judgement until I complete the build, but initial dry fitting looks very positive. (I've taken care to make notes and follow the building cautions from previous reviews)

Cheers,
Fred
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 03:21 PM UTC
First thing to do is see if I can get a convincing result modding the spare cowling sections into open hatch sections. If I can it will save me ordering an aftermarket set.

Firstly, I cut the hatch away along the molded "piano" hinge then I wet sand the inside to thin the wall thickness. After that its evergreen card to detail the inside.

The next thing to do is get the wing ready for the Quickboost flap set.

The plastic from Eduard is super soft and easy to work with but it requires a bit of patience and a steady hand to prevent careless gouging of the surface.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 12:46 PM UTC
New Flaps from Quick Boost arrived today. Decided to start into trimming and fitting this afternoon. Needless to say they do not 'fall into place'. A ton of dry fitting is required here. I've spent more than an hour getting one wing's insert ready and I'm really only about 90% ready to move on to the other wing. Looks like patience will be the order of the day!

Cheers,
Fred
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 - 12:55 AM UTC
Eduard supplied engine has a fair amount of detail but it still seems to simplify some bits. I've noticed that a lot of Eduard 190s even with the hatch popped came across looking spartan if built strictly OOB. I didn't want to foot for an Aires engine so I figured I'd simply spruce up the kit motor. Going to add spark plug wires, but the first order of business was to flesh out the cylinder heads a bit more and add fuel lines.

Cheers,
Fred
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC
What started out as adding some details to the motor has snowballed on me. Part of me feels that I'm getting in over my head, but it seems the only way is forward. If I don't crash and burn on this build it just might turn out pretty neat.

Cheers,
Fred
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC
Had a little bit of time to make some headway with the motor. Should finish it up tonight so I can move on the the cockpit.

Cheers,
Fred
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC
Looks good, Fred!
You are putting a lot more detail into yours than I am mine. Now that I'm at the painting stage of a build where I'm ONLY opening the top gun deck, I would have to agree with you (and Gaston)... this kit is meant to be done "opened up," and if you're not bothering with that then it's certainly easier to just use one of the other Fw190 kits out here.
Keep at it!

Tom
 _GOTOTOP