_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC
I have a soft spot for this kit as it was the first thing I built after a modelling hiatus of quite a few years. The skills have (hopefully!) improved in the past six years though so I thought I'd give it another go. Took a bit of a while but I think it's there. The only addition is a Vector Resin engine, beautiful, just a shame it's hidden behind that cowling! A little scratchbuilding included a more realistic representation of the tail by opening up the rear of the fuselage, raising the tail plane and scooping up the top decking just in front of it. The prop boss also had a few nuts and bolts added. The moving surfaces were cut and posed. It's all brush-painted with xtracrylix and misterkit paints, the decals are from Aeromaster and went down very well. The rib-tape detial on the upper surfaces isn't quite as prominent in the flesh but it is, I admit, a little overdone. A lesson for next time. That's about it, hope you like it!

xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Wielkopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 - 09:37 AM UTC
I have to admit I really like your Triplane. It`ll be useful as a reference, since I`ve got one in my stash too. I agree that rib tapes on the upper surfaces are a little bit overdone, but it doesn`t spoil the general great impression on the model. Can you post some pics of the interior? or maybe is there a build thread? What did you use to shade the lower wings?
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to admit I really like your Triplane. It`ll be useful as a reference, since I`ve got one in my stash too. I agree that rib tapes on the upper surfaces are a little bit overdone, but it doesn`t spoil the general great impression on the model. Can you post some pics of the interior? or maybe is there a build thread? What did you use to shade the lower wings?

Thanks Filip, glad you like it! I don't have any pics of the interior though I didn't add anything to the kit, Eduard's PE does its job in this case. The lower wings were shaded using a series of translucent coats, the desired colour mixed with a gloss varnish. The whole surface was painted a linen cream, then a couple of coats of PC10 with gloss varnish (not very much colour at all) brushed very quickly in perpendicular directions until dry to give a texture to the colour. Then linen cream rib tapes were masked and painted on top followed by a coat or two of a slightly golden varnish to blend the whole together. Finally some pastels brushed into the edges created by the painted rib tapes. The intention is to give a sense of the dark painted upper fabric showing through the lower surface of the wing.

Thanks again!
Davd
 _GOTOTOP