_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Zvezda to release a 1/48 Bf 109G-6 next week.
canuck63
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 04:40 AM UTC
…since I’ve started converting mine!The Russian kit is so beautiful that I couldn’t resist converting it into a G-6 which (hopefully) will be a tad more detailed and accurate than the Hasegawa offerings!No need to describe the kit’s quality in terms of fit and details because it’s been done a million times in the past.I can only say that the parts click together and the fit is a là Tamiya.Detailing is mindboggling and in some areas is equal to if not better than what can be found in many resin detailing sets.The plastic is very soft, therefore much care is needed when sanding and cutting.There are a few sinkmarks but nothing serious and nothing a little putty and gentle sanding couldn’t take care of.
I’ve started a few hours ago and these are the mods I’ve done so far:
1)Removed the external reinforcing strips near the tail.
2)Scribed the oval inspection hatch aft of the rear wheel
3)Scribed the small hatch for the primer’s reservoir on the starboard side.Since I HEARTILY hate using scribing templates I scribed the hatch by glueing an Eduard PE hatch on the bare plastic,scribed around it,and then smoothed the “scars” on the scribed hatch with Gunze Mr. Dissolved Putty,which in my opinion is the best Putty ever!
4)Fitted an Eduard PE access port to the Fuselage tank on the port side aft of the cockpit.To make a clean job I’ve annealed the PE part,pressed it against the fuselage to give it the right curve,temporarily glued it to the plastic and with a PE thin saw I cut around it,then I superglued the PE part on the square opening and hey,presto…a clean port that will be “filled in” with a scratchbuilt interior.
4)Scribed the panel lines on the upper wings as required.
At first I wanted to rivet the model but I don’t think I will…I’ll add rivets in some selected areas with a #0 and a#1 grainers.
I’ve already gathered a few parts from the Hasegawa kit(s) which I’ll modify and cast in resin along with a few other AM resin and PE bits and bobs.I don’t know if I’ll fit a radio compartment yet,probably not because I’d have to scratchbuild the fuselage interior and since I’m the laziest modeler around I don’t want to be carried away and turn the build into another never-ending odyssey,but I sure will detail the engine compartment.No need to look for resin mills here….the engine’s beautifully detailed OOB…it will only require the obvuious changes between it and the latter DB605 fitted to the G-6 and,of course,MG131s will be needed!
Comments,suggestions,hints,tips and constructive critics are more than welcome!
Thank you for watching
Manu

canuck63
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 04:43 AM UTC
Looking at two of the pics would look like Matchbox' mad trench digger is alive and kicking..they're neither that wide nor deep...it's just the sanding dust that makes them look wider than they are!
Cheers
Manu
 _GOTOTOP