RF-4, 1/72
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi, guys!
This will be a build log about a RF-4 in 1/72 by RoG. Anyway before I start it I'd like to ask you for some advise.
The model itself is done, but some years ago it took some serious beating in the nose area. So, from 2-3 years I got this idea to make it look like an airplane on a permanent storage like this:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-RF-4C-Phantom/1689661/L/&sid=7e5abb14626adae202f1450002e110c9

This is the only option i see for reviving the model as it's nose area and cockpit are damaged, and I don't want to cracked it and start from the very beginning.

The most important question is: how to replicate the white coverage?
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-RF-4C-Phantom/1689658/L/&sid=7e5abb14626adae202f1450002e110c9

My first idea was to use some of the available liquid masks but they are way too thick for a 1/72 a/c. Any ideas?
Question 2: is there any pics of these supports under the wings and the nose? It's not a problem to use the kit landing gear but I like the look of it on the supports better.

This is for now... Later I will upload some photos of the model.

Thanks for looking,
Dimitar
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 01:37 AM UTC
The white is actually white paint over a black latex sealant called "Spraylat". You could put on a coat of Mr Surfacer 500, paint it black, then all but the edges white. The supports look as though they're similar to sawhorses. It looks like they're made up of A frame 2 X 4s covered by plywood sheet with the middle piece having the 2 X 4s in a pattern like /|. If you look, the plywood is different sizes leaving an opening through the support at random heights. It could be built from Evergreen stock and sheet quite easily.
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 02:25 AM UTC
hehehe, I knew that if I need answers I'd find them here!!!
Thanks a lot, Jessica! You know, for all these years I didn't realize that the supports are just plywood pieces! I always thought it's some kind of concrete (something similar to the Jersey barriers used in Iraq for road blocks) thing. You're right it will be easy to reproduce them from Evergreen, but I think using some starbucks coffee sticks will be even more realistic.
About the surfacer 500 - may be, but still not sure. My mind keeps dragging me towards MIG productions liquid mask... At least it's very similar to the real thing - just latex...

Stay tuned for some progress in the coming days!
Thanks again,
Dimitar
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

About the surfacer 500 - may be, but still not sure. My mind keeps dragging me towards MIG productions liquid mask... At least it's very similar to the real thing - just latex...

Well, that's what test models are for
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 10:36 PM UTC
Yeap, that's right!
I've decided to try the liquid mask first, at least if I mess it it can be peeled off, making room for some surfacer trials.
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 03:13 AM UTC
So, nearly a year passed and we are here:

Let's hope I'll start the work on the latex covers soon. I think I'll need to smooth the canopy area, in order to achieve the look of the covered aircrafts.
 _GOTOTOP