_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard Il-2M and Italeri IL-2M3!?!
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 06:43 PM UTC
In the wake of all the interest on the Il-2, I bought the apparently still available Italeri(AM) Il-2, since I had the decals, instructions, a built nose and painted cockpit from Eduard's clever reboxed combination of a two-seat AM fuselage with AM single-seat straight metal wings (to make an Il-2M, for which use the wings apparently need to be filled to a wood wing standard, but no big deal).

The rather huge problem is that Italeri depicts the very same "white 100" markings I wanted to do (done much more poorly it seems to me than on my Eduard sheet version), but does NOT offer Eduard's brilliant kit-bashing in the box, and instead just a simple Il-2M3 swept-wing version! The date offered is Summer 1943, which is just barely plausible for the swept-wing version's time of introduction...

On wings Palette, no less than four profiles are offered of this same "white 100" machine with the music partition, yet all of them are classified in the swept-wing Il-2M3s section and not as straight-wing Il-2Ms!

This despite the fact that, according to other sources, a short mast and black-on-green scheme guarantees an earlier straight-wing Il-2M, yet here a later brown scheme is offered, but still with a short mast (same with the 3 other profiles, but here the way the wings are drawn is more reminescent of a straight wing, despite the later brown colour):

Not to mention that all reviewers failed to note this rather obvious discrepancy, it would be nice to know which kind of wings are supposed to go on this machine, which should have drawn attention given what seems to me like an absolutely unique artwork.

I also find Eduard decals tend to be better performing and better made than many After-Market decals, and so that is another reason why I am very keen on using them.

Imagine the B-24 "The Dragon and his tail" being offered both with turreted and non-turreted kit versions, and nobody even trying to figure which is supposed to be the right one...

Gaston

P.S. I could not find any discussion of this large discrepancy on the web anywhere (despite both the Eduard and Italeri boxings having been out for years), so I guess this indicates interest in the Il-2 is rather limited...

G.

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 07:29 PM UTC

This is the best I could find after much searching:

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1245.0

An opinion that "white 100" was a straight-wing green on black version: Exit the Italeri's kit offer...

Also swept-wings Il-2s on that site are described as being with a "Fall" 1943 introduction which makes "Summer" 1943 definitely unlikely...

Poor choice of scheme then for Italeri: Is this kit boxing considered as still currently available?

Gaston
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hi Gaston

Yefim Gordon and Sergey Komissarov agree with Eduard and show "White 100" as a straight-wing IL-2 in the Crowood Aviation book.

According to 4+ Publications, the swept wing passed the NII VSS tests on 9th October 1943.

I bought the Italeri kit recently, so it's still "available" - but kits can sit on the shelves of LHSs for a long time, so I don't know if it's still in production.

All the best

Rowan
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 08:24 AM UTC

Thanks Rowan!

Much appreciated.

Gaston
 _GOTOTOP