_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
reserve/auxiliary/national guard campaign?
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 07:05 AM UTC
So the number of air campaigns over the horizon has gotten under control (despite the fact that a large number are currently running or about to)....

I was thinking a good campaign would be aircraft from reserve, auxiliary, or national guard units. To be frank, I really don't know how many countries operate reserve air forces, but at least a few do (the U.S.A. drawing a fair bit of its strength from them even now).

these reserve force have played important rolls many times in aviation history - such as filling the ranks of the normal air forces when conflicts suddenly arise, the Berlin airlift, insuring the safety of home airspace, keeping pilot flight hours current, preventing future presidents from getting involved in the Vietnam war, and many other duties great and small.

The possible builds are wide open - for instance, the Texas ANG has operated everything from P-51s to F-16s with T-6s, F-86D/Ls, F-80s, F-101s, F-102s, F-4s, and many others. Other Air National Guard and USAF Reserve units have operated most of the aircraft thathave served in the USAF since WWII. The US navy reserves have operated many of the types flown by the USN. Spitfires, Meteors, Lightnings, Jaguars, Tornadoes and more are/were in the RAuxAF, which was founded in 1924, so some biplanes surely qualify (like the Hawker Hart). I believe Canada, France, maybe Switzerland, and a few other countries have at least some history, past or present, of reserve air forces. Then there are units like the Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force

A little research will be required to figure out which types operated in which reserves with which markings, but that is what a campaign is for: to learn something about the subject matter of the campaign.

I think we should probably also limit this campaign to aircraft in markings for reserve units, as opposed to aircraft flown by reservist pilots, which could, in the case of some air forces, be virtually any aircraft in service with that air force.

I suppose we wouldn't start this till later in the year or even the start of next year to let some of the current campaigns run their course.

Any takers?
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC
to add some visual interest:

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 11:05 AM UTC
I'd be in for that.
It so happens Ive suggested this topic to the P-47 guys in this thread.
It's a pretty narrow band for the P-47 group, only about 20-25 possible prototypes. An all reserve forces campaign would be a good fit for my P-47s and offers many other possibilities.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC
great! hopefully we'll have some other takers!

It is my understanding that National Guard units east of the Mississippi received P-47s, and those west of that river were issued P-51s - except Hawaii, which also got the P-47s. So I guess that would be 27 states (26 eastern states + Hawaii) with P-47 NG units (if all states had NG units at the time, which I do not know). I suppose some states had more than one NG unit too tho...

If you build a National Guard P-47, I'll do a Texas NG P-51 so as to keep the east/west balance.

_GOTOTOP