_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Can you clear this up
fireresq1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hi All
I am new to this forum but have a question and need some help if you all can help.
I have a 1/32 trumpter F18E S/Hornet ready to build. However going through the box i noticed that the canopy has a mold line running through the center of the canopy.Has any one got some good advise on the removel of this line ?
All help would be great
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 05:59 PM UTC
It will have to be carefully scraped and sanded from the canopy. The line is there because they had to use a multi-part mould to correctly portray the canopy's cross section. You need to sand the line off, then using progressively finer and finer grit sanding sticks, clean up the sanding marks. Lastly, finish it off with a "tripple grit" polishing stick and a dip in Future/Kleer to give it that sparkle.

You can find really fine grit sanding and polishing sticks in the cosmetic department, usually cheaper than the ones in the hobby shop
fireresq1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 06:29 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice Jessica, ill practiss this on a old canopy first a? lol
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All
I am new to this forum but have a question and need some help if you all can help.
I have a 1/32 trumpter F18E S/Hornet ready to build. However going through the box i noticed that the canopy has a mold line running through the center of the canopy.Has any one got some good advise on the removel of this line ?
All help would be great

You might find something in the latest issue (June) of Airfix Model World helpful.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?s=c1e853a176a5d7b7631fde02f23b8c80&t=116513

Cheers,
Eric
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
What I did was go to a local auto shop and bought an assortment pack of wet/dry sanding paper (1000 - 1500) and a polish. First thing you should do is put masking tape on the left and right sides of the seam to protect it from further scratches and such.

Then pack the inside the canopy with clay or wet paper towels…this help so that you have a firm grip on it AND that it doesn’t crack or you’ll be looking for a replacement.

Start by using a new blade and ONLY scrap the seam (in between the tape), then under water start using the sand paper working your way up the grit scales. Once finished polish and either dip or spray a coat or two of Future Floor Wax.

The sanding sticks work well like the others mentioned but you do get more for your money (sanding paper) in the long run.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
fireresq1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 11:18 PM UTC
thanks for all the great tips
 _GOTOTOP