_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
ICM He 70 G
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 07:15 AM UTC
The He 70 G was developed for Deutsche Luft Hansa in 1932 as a fast mailplane and light airliner. For years the only option was the Matchbox/Revell kit, which by the second decade of the 21st Century is showing its age. Has ICM succeeded in replacing it? Jessica Cooper takes a look at the kit to find out.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 05:45 AM UTC
Dear Jessica,

there must be some interesting exchanges if you meet Gaston Martin from Quebec at convetions in Canada who is only interested in comparing fotos and never says that he likes anything because it looks like the thing it is said to represent.

Nice review of a nice subject. If not for the wrong scale (I am mostly in 1:48) I might have been tempted. Such a fine plane.

Lemche
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 05:21 PM UTC
Luckliy Quebec is far enough from Vancouver that I have very little chance to encounter Gaston.

If 1/48 is your game, have you looked at the AZ Model kit?
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 11:27 PM UTC
I had a look, and it looks interesting. But I had to limit myself many years ago to one plane only, the Spitfire, a ballerina in the air, and have been collecting material for a series for twenty years. So the only Heinkels 70 I ever bought before this obsession was two of Matchbox 1/72.

Now only one year from retirement, and I will have a go with my collection (I hope).

Of course I have all kind of models to last me for two lifetimes --- better than son who says that it will take him 250 years to get through his collection to be built. That was a year ago, so maybe now it is 300 years.

NP
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 11:43 PM UTC
PS: I forgot to say that I have been speculating abot Gaston's "challenge". Plans are what plans are, and the difference can be serious. Hasegawa's Mk.IX is according to Clin't drawings (in Bracken, The Canadians), c. 2 mm too short, but according to some new Kagero drawings more than 5 mmk too short. This doesn't make sense (and supports your position). Because I have been into scholarly activities for the last forty years, I would probably in the future just inform that my basis for the model were this drawing (and not another one). The problem to many (me too) is that if you know that something is wrong, it doesn't help if it looks like the right thing. You still know that it is wrong.

But only according to the set of references used.

Has Gaston ever sent in a model that was not 2/3 miliput and only 1/3 plastic? And finished for that matter.

NP
 _GOTOTOP