_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
CIA Hips - interior pics
daen85
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hee guys,

I'm planning to build a Mil Mi-8 Hip operated by the CIA in Afghanistan.
I've pretty decent exterior pics but lack those from the inside. I bet these spooks changed the whole interior with electronics, other seats, etc.
Also a question about the weapons. I've seen pics with GAU-17 left and a 7.62mm on the right side (fitted in the window). I doubt this is a MG240 or the Russian DHsK 7.62mm.

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks a bunch!

Daan
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 05:43 AM UTC
The interiors are left pretty much the way the Russian/Afghans had them, nothing special added. These aircraft are cargo aircraft used to insert Afghan SF troops, not used as super hi-tech electronic snoopers. The 7.62 you saw was most likely an M240D/H, it is the standard .30 cal medium MG of the US military as a helicopter mount.
daen85
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 06:47 AM UTC
Thanks Gino,

I've read they are used by the CIA to insert US troops as well. Don't know if this info is reliable cause. Do you know anymore about this?

Merci

Daan
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 06:49 AM UTC
Yes, they also are used to insert US Special Ops as well with the Afghan guys. The Hip is actually very good in high altitude areas and it is something the Afghans are used to seeing, so it is less comspicuous than a US Chinook.
 _GOTOTOP