_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Sea Vixen FAW.1 1/72 cyberhobby Build
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 01:50 PM UTC
Howdy.

I thought I would try and do a build blog for this kit as it looks to be an interesting build.

This is the Start of my Sea Vixen FAW.1 Build, the kit is the Dragon Kit # 5051 Cyber-Hobby one in 1/72 scale.

This is a little bit out of my comfort zone as the few planes I have done are 1/48 scale WWII aircraft.

I am building this kit for the Dragon OOB Campaign.

Here is whats in the box.

later
Delbert
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 01:53 PM UTC
Assembly part 1

I got some of the assembly done, mostly everything in Step 1, except for the cockpit. I will work on that next.

Found a couple of errors in the directions, In step 1 the landing gear bays are called out as parts B5, and B6, but this is incorrect as they are pars B3, and B4. B5 & 6 are actually the inside of the jet intakes.

I have the jet intakes finished and the guards did not want to fit, parts B44 & B45 until I reversed them from what the directions called out for.

Getting the intakes fitted along with the side hull pieces B5 & 6 can be a bit tricky, and they fit very snug.

Here are the photos

until next post
Delbert
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 11:58 PM UTC
Just got the cockpit assembled, and everything went into place smoothly, the only part that was a little trouble was getting the control stick into place, as the parts are kinda small in 1/72.

Delbert
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
Nice one Delbert, I will be following your build closely.
All the best.
tim
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 10:16 AM UTC
Thanks Tim, hope it keeps you interested.

Just got some painting done on the cockpit. The directions call for flat black. I used flat black mixed with about 10% white to get a scale color as I thought straight black would be too dark.

I also used a little artistic interpertation to add a bit of color to the cockpit. I looked at photos of the real aircraft and other than the switches it was black. I added bits of color, to add interest to anyone who bothers to try and see inside. Not that you will be able to see much once everthing is in place and the canopies are in place.

there is no way I'd be able to detail all the tiny dials and switchs in 1/72. and they prob would not be seen anyways.

Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 12:43 PM UTC
another post

Got some more work done and its starting to look like an aircraft. The cockpit is in place, got the 2 airframe halves glued together. I am modeling what I think is the speed brake, directly under the cockpit in the closed position. and the 2 rocket pods are in place. and as you can see not much will be seen of the cockpit.

thanks for looking
Delbert
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hello again, just adding the next installment of the build

Just finished up Step 5, got the wings finished and on everything fit well except I had to do a bit of sanding to get the 2 prongs that hold the wings to the main body to fit correctly, Also have to be careful here not to use to much glue as the I almost melted the leading edges on one wing. I decided to wait to attach the pivot tubes to the wings as they look very fragile.

The Fuel tanks are dragon's "slide Molding" technique they talk a lot about now. meaning the round is not done in two halves, but in once peice. and I just had to glue the ends on, again done in one round peice.

This is turning into a larger plane than I thought, since it is in 1/72nd scale.

thanks for looking
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 11:43 AM UTC
time for another update

Well I finished the assembly part. For the most part this little kit assembled pretty easy. I did make a couple of mistakes, one being that you really really should assemble the RIO's side window before you assemble the fuselage, I think that would have gone a lot easier.

For a small kit the landing gear went together better than some 1/48 scale kits I have done. Its not a perfect build so far, but what ever is. But I will sayy I have found it a enjoyable build so far.

Now here are the photos.

later
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hello again.

No this build hasn't fallen by the wayside, I was just working on some other stuff for a while. Anyways here is an update.

Basic painting

Tried to paint the white. I guess the tin of Humbrol was too old as it came out extreamly grainy and pebblely.. I rubbed most of it off with a toothbrush.. will work on it again later and hope it goes better... I redid the white with model master, better but not perfect, I decided it was good enough.

The Model Master RAF Dark Sea Grey and Flat Black sprayed well.

Decals part 1

Been working on the decals. for a 1/72 aircraft this thing has a lot of them, esp lots of small stenciling. Got most of the underside done now. I know my paint isn't perfect, but its good enough for me.

and thats all for now.

Delbert
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
Looks good to me Delbert. Interesting design. Russell
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi everyone

I've been busy working on the decals on this aircraft and talk about fiddly bits. the red do not walk lines took 19 decals, and each had to be placed just so.

I've spent most of my work time today on this.. do a decal wait a few go back do another ect.. took a while.

anyways here is the photo. It looks a lot better with its markings on. I'm sure they will look better after I get a gloss coat on.

later
Delbert
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 10:22 AM UTC
Well I finished up this aircraft, learned some stuff and will now go back to my comfort zone of 1/35 armor.. for a while..

Its not the best plane I've built, but its far from the worse and I think it came out ok..

here are the finished photos..

thanks for following
Delbert
 _GOTOTOP