_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Trying find information on the Westland Witch
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:33 AM UTC
I am trying to find information on the Witch. While I have a basic 3-view and a few(very few) photos, I'm trying to find more in depth information, and am asking if anyone could steer me in the right direction, or share with me any links which might be of help. I would like to find at least one photo of the cockpit, but have yet to find that information; maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction.

I wouldn't mind modelling this in 1/48 scale, and if this was developed from an already existing design(as aircraft manufacturers are wont to do), and there is a kit of that, then perhaps I could kit-bash. Otherwise, I'm looking at a scratch building project.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
Here you go. Though its not just the "Witch"
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 04:03 PM UTC
Well, I appreciate the info, however, those are the same Witch pics I found with a google search. I was hoping that there might be another site with more detailed photos, or even just drawings beyond the simple 3 view.

I still appreciate it, and thank you.

I'll just have to keep looking, or perhaps end up building rubber scale, such as peanut or even coconut scale.

What helped inspire me was that I got my resin Jupiter engine in, and I began to scout around, and found the Witch 3 view, so started getting more and more curious.

I'm wondering now if there are any other designs which used the Jupiter, which have been done as plastic models, preferably 1/48 scale.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC
Max a quick search and you come up with this, for more on the Witch you may want to see if you can find a copy of the out of print Putnam book on Westland's aircraft. I have several of these books but not the Westland one.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 09:02 AM UTC
I have that page bookmarked. I found it shortly after I order a 1/48 resin Jupiter, just to see what else, besides the Kalinin K5 used it for power.

Found several likely candidates, including the Witch, which looked very intriguing to me, seeing as I used to build rubber scale models(mostly peanut and coconut scale), and the wing, wing location, tail moment, and empennage area helped me to want to look into it further.

But, if I can't find much more than I already have, I might decide on an alternative, which was a development of the F2B(most of the fuselage, wings, and empennage of the Brisfit were used), which might be a nice kit bashing project.

But the engine I got from Wings and Things needs a lot of work done to it before I'd be happy with it. Mostly in the area of the push rods and rocker boxes. But the basic engine itself looks all right.
 _GOTOTOP