_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Vietnam era Cobra. Who makes one?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 07:42 AM UTC
I'm on the lookout for a 1/72 Vietnam War era Bell AH-1 Cobra, but having some difficulty finding one. I've found that Matchbox did one many moons ago but all current kits (namely Hobbyboss and Italeri) seem to be of later Cobras.
Does anyone know of any kits available?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Matchbox and Monogram did the only -G model Cobras I know about. Your only alternative is to kitbash and convert some of the available kits until someone wakes up and remembers that we need a modern kit of this variant.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
Yeah its a G model that I'm after. Wasn't sure about the specific variant in my earlier post. I was sure Italeri did one at some point. It might be possible to turn their Sea Cobra into an AH-1J, but it would need a completely new nose sculpted! Searching on the net has turned up a G made by Mastercraft of Poland, but it looks suspiciously like a copy of the Matchbox kit. A few sellers on Evilbay have them and they have one advantage - cheap! I could live with any inaccuracies it has until a new one comes along.
Shame no one does a new tooling as I can see it being a big seller. I did Hobbyboss's Israeli AH-1S Cobra and was very impressed by it.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 12:41 AM UTC
Stephan
It would be an G or J model. ITALERI made one as well as Revell/Monogram. But hence kit is long gone. You'd have to
Kitbash one now. Hope and wish U luck. Todd
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 126 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 02:31 AM UTC
May be there is still a chance to see an AH-1G from Special Hobby in 1/72. It was on their leaflet for some 4 years and if I'm getting things correctly they are preparing one. One can only hope...
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
4 years and still nothing. That doesnt sound good to me. Its a real shame that Revell, Italeri or Hobbyboss don't do a new Army G. I'm sure they would sell.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 10:56 AM UTC
Cobra Company makes a detail set that could be used in combination with kitbashing an Italeri AH-1W for the windscreen with an AH-1S fuselage and an Italeri Uh-1C for the rotors.

It would be much easier if someone would just bring out a new -G model. I'm sure the market's there.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 11:36 PM UTC
Sorry been sime time since I left checking the forum. I turned into a Cobra freak last year:} Actually only Matchbox and Monogram kits are usable for Vietnam era US Army Cobras. Fujimi has one J which is the USMC version of the era but it is near impossible to find. Just saw 2 on e-bay in the past 5 years. Although some Js survived until the 1991 Desert operations in active service T and W cobras, which are produced by Italeri are as useless as an AH-64 to be converted to the Vietnam era models. Although the cockpit, gun turret and engibe of T is almost same with J it has a completely different hull and tail. Hasegawa Fs are useable as hulls as far as you do the nose and cockpit/canopy from something else for the Vietnam era G Cobras. Aeromaster is produceing fiddled molds of old Matchbox AH-1G [Edit: So does ZTS Plasyk and Mastercraft] but belive me it is something you don't want to be even in the same district unless you are really really hopeless. Onthe other hand for the T cobra fans Airfix is boxing the Aeromaster T Cobra which is also a fiddled Italeri T. Has some interestingadditions to the old mold but not a good production. So, as a conclusion: MATCHBOX!!!!
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 11:42 PM UTC

Here is the one I did about 2 years ago. There is nothing I can describe as "wrong" other than the rotor shaft details but it obviously lacks some details as in most Matchbox kits. In any case it is splendid little bug and I still hunt for them as much as I can and nick them where I find them. I never lose the appetite for AH-1G:]
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
Cheers for that bit of info on available cobras. The matchbox kit is the one I'm after but try as I might I havent neen able to get one. They always seem to go for stupid prices on evilbay. Way more than I'm willing to pay anyway.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 08:10 PM UTC
If you rush you can get one in 3 hours time on Ebay.co.uk. I am following it but won't bid since he is only sending to UK. Get it whlie it is hot:] Search as "Huey Cobra" It is not under AH-1G. Oh and I forgot an old company called Starfix has the prototype/proposal model also can be found in evil prices on e-bay.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 11:47 PM UTC
Gave it a go but was outbid in the last few seconds by a matter of pennies. How someone could put in a last bid so fast I shall never know.
Better luck next time I suppose. All I want is one to add to my Vietnam collection.
Now Starfix brings back some memories. A local shop used to sell them for 99p when I was a kid. I remember trying their 1:48 Bf-109G and a Huey Gunship. I remember them fitting fairly well but were devoid of any detail and had crap decals. Still they were a very good learning tool before I moved on to the more expensive stuff.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 12:47 AM UTC
Sorry you missed it. It sometimes happens.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 02:11 AM UTC
yeah. I might have better luck at model shows. I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi everyone. Does anyone know what comes out of Matchbox AH-1J? I searched through the net but couldn't find any satisfying answer. I presume it is the Fujimi kit but not sure. Any ideas?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 08:04 AM UTC
According to this site: http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?products_id=286
it was a re-box from a Korean manufacturer. I really would not like to say whats is the box.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 10:11 PM UTC
Whoooow! Nice site! Thank you. Ace...hmmm I have seen them boxing some old LS and Arii kits if I remember correctly. So it may be Fujimi. Thanks again.
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is the one I did about 2 years ago. There is nothing I can describe as "wrong" other than the rotor shaft details but it obviously lacks some details as in most Matchbox kits. In any case it is splendid little bug and I still hunt for them as much as I can and nick them where I find them. I never lose the appetite for AH-1G:]

So is this the Matchbox AH-1G?
In my LHS just received a ZTS Plastik AH-1G - but as far as I understand it's a disaster. Did I get it right?
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm on the lookout for a 1/72 Vietnam War era Bell AH-1 Cobra, but having some difficulty finding one. I've found that Matchbox did one many moons ago but all current kits (namely Hobbyboss and Italeri) seem to be of later Cobras.
Does anyone know of any kits available?

Stephen
Sorry to hear about Evil-bay shot. I won't deal w/ them
anymore, because of an$1700.00 shaft I took up the U no what!!
You might have better luck from Rare Plane Detective.
Give them a try. I've gotten. a lot of O.O.P. kits from them
in the past. Good Luck! Rotorhead out.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC
Sorry to hear about your ebay troubles Todd. I've often had some good bargains on ebay, untill its something that I really want and it seems everyone on the planet starts bidding on it.

Anyhow, this quest has ended well as I happened to walk into a second hand charity store on the weekend and they had a Matchbox Cobra sitting on the shelf alongside their 1:76 Humber Armoured car. So two sort after kits for a couple of quid, I'm happy and the money went to a good cause.

I'll do a build of it when m desk is clear of a few ongoing campaign builds.

Ste
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So is this the Matchbox AH-1G?
In my LHS just received a ZTS Plastik AH-1G - but as far as I understand it's a disaster. Did I get it right?

Terribly sorry for the immens delay, I seem to forget to get online...for long. Yes it is the Matchbox. And yes the ZTS is a horror movie of its own. Last night while I was doodleing with the other Cobras I took it out of the box thinking, with childish naivity, how bad it could be. Too bad... far too bad. On the other hand I menaged to get a Fujimi S Cobra with Japanese markings, it is rather promising. On the first look I just realised that it has a gun turret cover...do they have it on M197 carrying Army Cobras? Never saw one. Anyways you can always stick in a minigun and lable it as a P. Worths a try. I am building an Italeri T cobra and crying out loud for a decent new tool kit...Seriously...
On the other hand seems like the Airfix box one is way too short. It is even shorter than G. I calculated and it seems rather 1/89 than 72.
I am really glad you finally made it Stephen. Have fun with it. Humber...hmmm that is another childhood hero of mine but this is Aeroscale right? So I shut up. Oh and merry Christmass everyone.
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
JollyRoger, thanks for your answer.
Better later, than never!
And now, gents, are you ready for this one (Ok, it's 1/72, BUT!!!):

Original image here:
http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2013/Bilder_VH/Nuernberg2013_VH_1.htm
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hobby Boss AH-1F
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING