_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
D.V early Merc.D.III 160 query
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 11:20 AM UTC
Hi, hoping one of you learned colleagues can answer or even advise me on something.

I'm building the WNW D.V ATM I want to build an early engined one ie: with the airpump at the rear. I was wondering if Eduard Ritter von Schleichs craft as pe the WNW profile might have had such an engine.
I've perused what reference I have with no foregone conclusion. The reason I ask is I know other A/C in the unit did D2016/17 for example and having no idea if von Schleich's A/C was from the same batch.

Any thoughts or better still evidence for or against? What pics I have found dont indicate yay or nay. One on page 33 of the newish Albatros at war V1 shows no airpump at the front but such details are often bleached/edited out over time.

On another note while looking for interesting/simple profiles to model I found a pic of Paul Strahle's D.V 4594/17 with what appears an early 160 engine,sans forwards airpump in Ospreys Albatros aces of world war 1 part 2 though other less clear pics seem to indicate a later engine type? Anythoughts?

Ta Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 03:11 PM UTC
The first Alb. D.V types that came out (late spring - early summer 1917) had the Merc. D.IIIa 170hp motors installed. The rear mounted (#6 cylinder)air pumps were actually on the 1st &b 2nd Production batches of the Alb.D.III and the air pumps were moved to the #1 cyclinder by the 7xx/17 series Alb. D.III machines. Voss's second D.III with the offset radiator and the 5 scoops on the cowl ring is one of these. The image below was taken during his stint a temp CO in Jasta 5.

His second machine was from the third production series ( D.750/17 - 799/17.) If this machine was already with him when he transferred to Jasta 5 it had not been given these personal markings yet. There are a series of photos with this machine in a tails up position ( The radiator is seen offset to the right of center and so the plumbing was now not directly centered in front of the pilot.) and Ltn. Voss standing on a ladder painting the white of the Haken Kreuz and heart border on the pilot’s left side. The spinner (and later the wheel covers) on this machine were probably red in colour as this was the Jasta 5 unit marking at the time. The upper surface camouflage was two colour. The cowling ring had five small intake vents behind the propeller. This was typical for aircraft in this series and the reason we know it to be a later machine than the first. The pilot’s step was square. The radiator was offset to the right of center and so the plumbing was now not directly centered in front of the pilot. This later machine may also possibly with him when he transferred to temporary commands of Jasta 5, 14 & 29 during the spring and early summer months of 1917.

Ltn. des. Res. Werner Voss service record;
Arrived from AFP 1 to Jasta 2 (Boelcke) on 25 Nov 1916.
On 7April 1917 he went on leave.
On 5 May 1917 he returned from Leave
On 20 May 1917 he was transferred to Jasta 5 as temporary commander.
On 10 June 1917 he was relieved of command for the new permanent commander.
On 2 July 1917 he was transferred from Jasta 5 to temporary command of Jasta 29.
On 6 July 1917 he was relieved of command and transferred to temporary command of Jasta 14.
On 30 July 1917 he was relieved of command and transferred to command of Jasta 10.
On 23 Sept 1917 he was KIA flying F.I 103/17 with a total of 48 aerial victories.

The image you are mentioning concerning Strähle's D.4594/17 may have been undergoing repairs and the pump was missing to be replaced. This machine went with him from Jasta 18 to Jasta 57 where it was wrecked. It always had the fat upright airpump as standard. It was also from the 3rd production batch and arrived at the front by late Sept. 1917.

D.1000/17 - 1199/17, 200 airframes ordered April 1917, Johannistahl.
D.1962/17 - 2361/17, 400 airframes ordered May 1917, Johannistahl.
D.4403/17 - 4702/17, 300 airframes ordered in July 1917, Johannistahl.
Total = 900 airframes.

See WNW decal sheet for Jasta 18 review

_GOTOTOP