_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
"Any Time Baby"
Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:40 AM UTC
It's my fervent desire to finish this little guy before this year is over. I started this a couple of years ago, as a follow on to another caricature I did. I certainly messed around and missed a great window of opportunity to sell a couple of the finished figures when the Tomcat was retired from Navy service, but oh well. Proportions are most definitely off in this rough layout, but are easily refined, and will be. A lot can be done with Super Sculpey and Premo if you keep working at it. I really want one as a companion to the Spook figure, so I have no real choice but to make it myself.

Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:42 AM UTC
When I did this first caricature, it was simply because I wanted one and there were none available that I was aware of. During the process, a friend asked what I intended to charge for copies. I was stunned. I stated I had no intention of selling it, I just wanted one for myself. I did, as it turns out, sell many copies and it was a great thrill for me to think other modelers would lay down good money for something I created with my own hands. The "Any Time Baby" caricature will undoubtedly go the same route, followed (I hope), by the "Warthog" figure. It's going to be a very busy year for this kid!

Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:45 AM UTC
My first original painted master cast was gobbled up by a local Phantom Phanatic Phriend of mine; he traded me a 1:32 Tamiya F-4J for it. To get another for myself, I had to pay for a casting! Ironic huh?

My target date for completion of the "Any Time Baby" caricature is sometime in 2012. Then I'll immediately commence work on the "Warthog". He'll be modeled along these lines, in case you're not familiar with this or similar illustrations, as there are several.

Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:47 AM UTC
True to form, I've resumed work on this effort. A new base was fabricated from sheet & strip plastic.

Underneath side of base has been (I hope), suitably reinforced to withstand the pressure that will be applied to RTV rubber while creating master mold.

Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:49 AM UTC
What I guestimated to be a sufficient amount of RTV has been mixed. Moments after sitting still, the deaeration process begins. I don't have a vacuum pot, or I'd deaerate it that way.

Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:50 AM UTC
I guessed pretty well, RTV rubber fills cavity nicely, providing a strong back to support resin weight.

Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:51 AM UTC
Not a lot done this evening on this, but at least RTV has set up, so I can pour another, (whenever I get around to grabbing new resin).

Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 02:08 AM UTC
Does anyone have any nice detail photos of the tie downs used on carriers? I'm considering adding some to this base.

Thanks a bunch,
Jagdtiger46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 01:01 AM UTC
Never mind, I Googled it. (Probably should have done that to begin with.)

_GOTOTOP