_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Camouflage using Blu Tac
skyhunter66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hi - another numpty question from yours truly!
I have put the base coat down and am now going to use Blu Tac for the camo - should I apply a coat of Klear before I use it?
thx
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 07:21 PM UTC
There's absolutely no need to apply Klear or whatever before masking with Blue-Tac (or any other pata-tac).
skyhunter66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 09:41 PM UTC
ok good to know - thanks!
CptSpitfire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 11:59 PM UTC
I wouldn't use the blue kind, only the white. The blue kind can stain paint and it's a pain to get off.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 12:12 AM UTC
I use the blue kind from Business Depot/Staple, their generic brand, and I have never had it stain the paint, or have I had any issues getting it off. Do me is just not as sticky as the brand name "Blu-Tack".

eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC
I've been using "poster putty worms" for years to mask tight, soft edge camouflage schemes. Take the word of someone who has tried many brands and colours, make the effort to get genuine Bostik Blu-Tack. It is definitely worth the expense. Nothing else comes close to working as well.

For rolling, try this little trick using a ceramic tile and scrap of clear acrylic (which allows you to see the worm while rolling).

I've used Blu-Tack on enamels, lacquers, and acrylics with no hint of staining or difficulty removing.

Yeah, I know this sounds like a Blu-Tack commercial but I am in no way affiliated with them. Just someone who has tried them all and knows what works best!

HTH

Cheers,
Eric

Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 01:35 AM UTC
I haven't tried Blue Tac, or similar, for masking but it looks interesting. What do you use for masking areas between the Blue Tac outlines - more Blue Tac? Or are you just very careful to avoid overspray? Do you thin your paint even more and use a low pressure (below 10 psi)?
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't tried Blue Tac, or similar, for masking but it looks interesting. What do you use for masking areas between the Blue Tac outlines - more Blue Tac? Or are you just very careful to avoid overspray? Do you thin your paint even more and use a low pressure (below 10 psi)?

I mask between the putty worm outlines with tape. Small strips of Tamiya tape following the curves then more Tamiya or 3M blue painters tape for the larger areas.

I don't thin paint any more than usual (about 50/50) and spray around 15 psi. The trick is to keep your airbrush at a 90 degree angle to the surface. If you aim away from the worm, you'll get a fuzzy line, toward it, and you may end up with a sharper line than you want.

Really, the best thing to do is experiment to see what works best for you.

Oh, and no matter how careful you are, there will always be spots needing touch up. In those cases, I just roll a new worm, apply along the existing outline, and respray. In those cases, I usually thin the paint more and drop the pressure a few psi for greater control.

HTH

Cheers,
Eric
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 12:23 PM UTC
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
CptSpitfire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 02:26 PM UTC
This is the stuff that will stain and is a pain to remove.
JediWookie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 11:13 PM UTC
I have had staining once when using Blu Tac. I forget who told me but apperently sometimes you can get staining because of the oil in your fingers going into the Blu Tac when its being rolled. I use gloves now when using Blu Tac and havent had the problem since. I am not saying thats the reason for some staining just thought I would mention it

G
Bizarre
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 02:27 AM UTC
No problems with blue-tac without clear. Here is what I painted yesterday. Not aircraft, but OK as an example.

removed the masks 20 minutes after

Hawkeye65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC
I am learning to use an airbrush, and I used blu-tac on my first camo pattern for the BAe group build. My subject is a Harrier GR.3 and i was quite happy with the result.
Masking:

The end result:
 _GOTOTOP