_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Some Basic Advice Please!
KiwiDave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
Having finished Chieftain and got my wrist fixed I am now tackling the Tamiya Meatbox. My first aircraft since an Airfix Anson in 1966 so I am not sure what I am doing.

Always open to new ideas I started joining the fuselage halves using the method in Mike Asheys book - masking tape to hold the parts together and superglue between the tape. For various reasons it is not working too well! These things always look so easy in a book.

Any suggestions on assembly of fuselage and wings before I get into the deep odourous stuff?

Regards Dave

Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:56 PM UTC
I don't use tape to hold the fuselage halves together while glueing. I'll typically apply glue (or apply it through out the process) and apply hand pressure to get a good 'seal' and some sepeage of liquid plastic from the joint. Once I have this I use a rubber band around the nose and mid-section of the fuselage and small clamps around the rudder.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hi Dave

I'm really glad to hear your hand's sorted and you can get back to modelling.

Tamiya kits are famous for their well-fitting parts, but the fuselage halves of my own copy of the Meatbox are slightly bowed, needing pressure to close a gab along the top joint. It's a tricky joint, because the opening for the wing is so big - using a rubber band around the fuselage will probably start forcing the joint open again.

Two approaches might work:

1. Use a "hot" liquid cement like "EMA Plastic Weld" or "Tri-Tak", so things set quickly. I'd do as Tin Can suggests and use finger pressure to begin with, and then strap the joint with some tape, once the cement had begun to cure.

2. Join the nose and tail normally and let them set. Then pinch the joint closed and let capillary action carry thin CA along the inside of the fuselage. Finish off with some liquid cement if necessary.

Good luck.

Rowan
KiwiDave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

You are spot on Rowan. The Tamiya factor strikes again! The halves do not mate properly and of course the absence of the belly section makes squeezing a bit tricky. On my example they are more than bowed. The tip of the nose has a gap, then it closes approaching the cockpit, then opens at the rear of the cockpit and so on along the entire fuselage. Also the fin/tailplane bullet is like a banana. Did consider removing the locating pins and rubbing the halves on my surface plate but that might actually pose further problems with the fit of the wings/cockpit surrround.

I should have just stuck to my old fashioned methods all along!

You will know when my wrist is fully better 'cos I will be able to ride my motorcycle!

Regards Dave
 _GOTOTOP