_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Need Help with 1:28 scale
dullcote
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 10:47 PM UTC
Greetings to all,
I'm new to early aviation kits. Not new to the hobby,.am primarily a ship-builder but have dabbled in 1/48 scale ww2 AC.

Recently I had the good fortune to acquire 2 "old" but mint NIB 1/28 scale Bi-planes. A revell Sopwith camel and a Fokker Tri-plane.

I would like to detail build these kits to a high level of accuracy,..well,..more than just an OOB. I have good experience with PE and experience with rigging.

So far I havent been able to find or acquire any aftermarket parts for these two birds. Was told by a friend over at another model site I frequent, that "copper state models" would have large scale products that I was looking for. Much to my dismay it would seem that site no longer exists...or the name has been changed to another and I'm not able to locate it.

Can any of you good folks here recommend a supplier, company,..or web site that would deal in this scale AC?

Many thanks for whatever answers or help you can provide
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC

Here is a bit of fun on the subject of the "1:27" Revell Fokker Dr.I. Better the Devell you know.

Also a member here is "drIace" has build multiple kits of the Fokker Dr.I and has won at IPMS nationals with his works.

In general the Sopwith Camel interplane and cabane struts are too long. It is 1:28.

dullcote
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 11:22 PM UTC
The article link you postd was a great read! I bookmarked that for sure..
By the silence to my question, I am going to assume there is no "copper state models" and also few if any after market parts such as PE or decals for this scale.

Thank you sir for your quick reply.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 02:34 AM UTC
Since CSM is closed the best place to get these is from other modelers willing to sell.
dullcote
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 02:55 AM UTC
Again I thank you
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 04:44 PM UTC
One other bit of help I can offer is that you google the name Fotocut. They carry a line of photoetch brass done originally by Harry Woodman. There are 3 sheets and they come in 1:72, 1:48 & 1:28 with literally hundreds of items for just a few dollars.
dullcote
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 12:22 AM UTC
now that is what i'm talking!
I didn't have a clue as to what was even available for birds in this scale (supposed scale). My search hadn't turned any stones for detail parts but it has shown that another AC was produced as well....a SPAD.

Looking thru this Early aviation forum, I've found many resource pictures that will be of great value to my builds.
Looks as if there may be some hope with these kits after all
----------------------------
Jack you mentioned the Camels "inter plane struts" were a bit long...I've noticed the upper wing (kit part) has a pronounced downward dihedral. Off hand would you know what the measured length of those struts should be?
I can adjust the wing angle by making a series of small cuts along the center line to form the primary angle....and then hot water to pull out the rest of the warp. But I have no way myself to know how much or how little I need to do.
Is there a "formula"......or would you suggest the "looks right to me now " method?

Oh dear....looks like I may be getting hooked on early birds!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 02:09 AM UTC
Dullcote,

I have the 1/28 SPAD and found a set of p/E for it. I don't remember who made it and they are lost in the maze of moving boxes. But they are out there. Perhaps the links Stephen posted already directed you to them.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
Strut length for the Camel is documented in the old Titus drawings. I'll have to go do a bit of research.
dullcote
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 02:25 AM UTC
Thank you yes I did the google search and have sent an e-mail inquiry to Fotocut. I also just happened to find that Toms Modelworks carries a couple of sets of PE for the 1/28 scale subjects.
Ok...well now the builds look like they can progress.

Thank you both!!

-----------------
Jack if you would send me in the right direction I will atempt the search..

Whatever publication(s) you could suggest I will indeed do the leg-work. .I know you are a very busy person and wouldn't want you to waste valuable time for this little tid-bit of information.
 _GOTOTOP