_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
617sqn Vulcan markings HELP
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
I need a little help and advice on a future build of the Airfix Vulcan I have planned.
I've recently been given the kit by my girlfriends brother. He bought it a few years ago, but work, a car restoration and an engagement have gotten in the way, so its ended up in my hands. Unfortunately I don't think the decals have stood the test of time. Being in the box with a load of loose bits has left some scratches on most of the larger decals. Luckily the stencils and some squadron badges seem fine.
I'm looking at doing something a bit different to the usual anti-flash white, Black Buck and XH558 finishes I've seen a lot of. I also want to use the the ruddy great Blue Steel nuke as the underside is pretty featureless without it. I would really like to a later cammo aircraft with said nuke in 617Sqn markings circa late 60's. Here's what I'm looking at doing:
http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/andy_leitch_vol1/index.htm
So what are my options on the aftermarket decals scene? Failing that could I use the kits decals for 9 and 44Sqn's, along with roundels and serials from my spares, to do a Blue Steel Vulcan?
Thanks in advance.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC
Your best bet is AirDecal sheet 7215. It hasn't got those exact markings, but it does have a 617 aircraft on it, plus other interesting options.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 12:35 PM UTC
Cheers Jessie.
I had completely forgotten Hannants existed, its been ages since I had anything of them.
That set would do the trick so its an option. Its a real shame they don't have the Freightdog set is stock as it has exactly what I want.
Another possibility I've just seen is the Xtradecal set for 617Sqn 1943-2008. http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72093 Again has what I want but I would need to pinch the earlier roundels from my Valiant's sheet. It does have the advantage of being lightly cheaper and has markings for other types. The Mossie and Mustang III are also looking very tempting.
I'm going to have to give this one some thought before I part with cash.
The real issue with deciding is that I know that 617 was a confirmed Blue Steel user, some squadrons only used the Yellowsun free-fall nuke. If I could confirm that 9 and 44 sqns used Blue Steel, then I can just use whats in the kit.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 01:07 PM UTC
This book says 617, 83 and 27 were the Blue Steel Vulcan squadrons.
 _GOTOTOP