_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 Albatros D.II alpha_tango
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi all

sorry for the bad word play. I am actually building Eduards Albatros D.II LVG in the camouflage and Markings of Emil Schäfer with Kasta 11. In most cases starting a blog means getting into a block with my builds .. hope not this time.

I'm using Blackdogs detail set and HGW 5480004 wood decals. But I better let the pictures tell the story...

The redbrown tint was done with Citadels Flesh wash. Originally I wanted to apply it with a brush, but that did not work (it pooled), so I airbrushed it on. For my taste the fuselage got a bit too dark, covering most of the nice wood grain .. but anyway I like my model so far. BTW the C&M on the wings was made after an article by the late Dan-san Abbott on Alb. D.II camouflage .. hope he is o.k. with it

blue skies

Steffen
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 09:42 AM UTC
That's a wonderful start. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 06:16 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch Jessica!

I had a lot of fiddly work around the nose that took me quite a while, but now I am pretty happy with the result. Sure it is basic compared to what most modelers do here in the ww1 section of Aeroscale, but it is as good as I can do it.

I hope to apply some decals over the weekend to get closer to adding the upper wing .. and then rigging

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 07:09 AM UTC
it is coming together

I applied the decals from the Kagero booklet, but it's lacking some black bordered white circles for the elevator. I will try the 72 scale dots, but I think these are too small --- there is still masking and my airbrush. The serial is not a perfect match to the known photo, but it is o.k. I screwed the top wing crosses but I will stick with it (the right one is 2mm farther outboard than the other side).

Then started rigging by attaching polyamid thread to the upper wing. Then attaching the wing to the struts .. tricky but it went well.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi All,

I finished rigging and also attached the ailerons. Then I applied some more decals. Today I smoothed the holes for the rigging on the lower wing and painted them blue and "schellacked" wood. Still need to apply the crosses.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 07:10 AM UTC
Slowly getting there

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 11:52 PM UTC
Still a bunch to do but it already looks the part

waiting for my olfa circle cutter to mask larger dots for the elevators. then adding the steering wires

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 06:02 PM UTC
Hi All

I enlisted to the KotS 2012 campaign yesterday and I am proud to be part of it !

Still there is one rule that I have problems with: providing original photographs. I do not own any pix of this aircraft, though I have a Sanke card of Schäfer.

OTOH I know of 3 published pictures. Group picture of Kasta 2 aircraft (published in Windsock Datafile 100 page 13 picture 43; center aircraft), a picture with Schäfer of the nose area (where you can see that the spinner has a different colour than the other metal areas of the nose - same publication pg.15/No.47) and finally an 8 o'clock side view in Osprey AoA 32 pg. 7. BUT I do not like to webpublish copyrighted material.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi all,

the kit is done and ready for the shelf. Well not fully, as I want to add a rearview mirror in the center of the wing and a curled pipe on the top of the compensation tank. Both can be seen in the pictures but both additions have the potential to ruin the model. Thus I decided to take a few finished pictures before desaster strikes... I know myself

Even without the additions I like the model. I had a few incidents already (e.g. I had to replace a few wires thus some are not fully staightened) so forgive me the small shortcut on the "finished photos".

all the best

Steffen
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 05:17 AM UTC
That really looks nice. It makes me want to dig my kit out and get to work.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 04:05 AM UTC
Many thanks Jessica!!!

I replaced the pictures. They now show the model with mirror and pipe.

cheers

Steffen
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:18 PM UTC
Nice job, Steffen!
How were the HGW wood grain decals to work with? Did you use one of the pre-cut sets, or did you have to trim out the sections yourself? If pre-cut, were they sized well (i.e., did you have to trim much)?

Regards-

Tom
Wisconsin USA
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

I used a set which has wood squares on it. It was quite easy to work with though the decals are not very flexible. I used Future/Klear as a decal medium, which worked very well. Still I had to by very careful pressing it over the cooling louvres and other prominent details and cutting them out. (I also used Daco red wich did not help much).

I also have a few sets especially for D.V and D.III Both state that the panels are slightly larger than the model panels and have to be trimmed .. but that is easy with a new blade. (btw I do not think these are precut but just printed the appropriate size)

All the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice work! Sorry - I missed your progress on this one. Great to see you building again - and you've put me to shame as usual!

(I haven't forgotten the "therapy-build you got me into - I simply haven't even had access to me work-room for the last few months! Hopefully, I'll get a couple of projects underway again in the next few weeks...).

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 07:29 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

many thanks, mate!

At the moment I am not doing much modelling, but I can do so regularily and thus I do progress. I will send some model pix soon to Jessica of anther project that I finally got movin .. no, not the Kondor. I just picked up one of my Zvezda 109s ... what a great model kit! but I digress.

As for your therapy model .. it was so long ago that I even forgot what it was ... or it's Altzheimer. (some Tamiya I guess )

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Well, tomorrow I've promised myself a bit of modelling time at long last! It won't be your therapy build, but it will be 1:48, so I hope you'll approve.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

gopod luck and most of all have fun!

BTW Yesterday I replaced the pix again .. now with Albatros and Axial logos .. finally completely done.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hi Steffen
Nice work!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 03:03 AM UTC
Not to shabby at all , she looks good Steffen .

Terri
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 06:20 PM UTC
Thank you Richard and Terri,

it is not too bad to have finished a model after a while.

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP