_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 B-17E. Does a kit exist?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hi all,
Does anyone know if the B-17E has been kitted by anyone and if its available? A google search has turned up B,C,D,F and G models by Academy. The old and new F's and G by Revell, and Hasegawa's F and G. And lastly an F by Maquettes, which is more than likely a reboxed Frog. But no bloody E!
I ask as I've just gotten Iliads 'Stars in the sky' sheet, which features markings for an E model flown by Gene Rodenberry in the Pacific. As a Trekkie how can I pass this up?
I'm in no rush for a kit, I have plenty already on the workbench to keep me busy. But if anyone knows of one at least I can keep my eyes open for it. I'm budgetign myself at around £15-£20 max. Not looking for the absolute best kit on the market, as long as it looks like what its meant to be I'm fine.
Thanks in advance.
Ste
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 07:17 AM UTC
Academy did the -E in RAF Coastal Command markings at the very least. This thread has an image of the box. I would be surprised if they didn't release it in other markings as well. It may be a trifle difficult to find these days though. The old Revell -F moulds were issued as an -E as well, with a proper nose, back in the day. It'll be even more difficult to track down than the Academy kit.

It shouldn't be terribly difficult to convert an -F to an -E; the major difference is the shallower nose bowl. Replacements are available in Falcon Clear Vax set No. 27 and from Squadron.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks Jessie.
Its always my luck that the kit I'm after is discontinued!
Worst of it is that I do remember that kit being sold by the LHS that closed down years ago. I always assumed it was an F and it was way out of my price range at the time. If only I knew then what I do now.
I had given some thought to converting an F, but besides from the nose the cheek windows are also completely different on this particular E, as can be seen here a few scrolls down: http://pdxretro.com/2011/08/series-creater-gene-roddenberry/
That could be sorted with some careful masking and painting.

It does make me wonder though, that if Academy has done all major versions, are not the parts for for an E already in the F box? Or do they just switch out one or two sprues between the kits?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or do they just switch out one or two sprues between the kits?

I think that's exactly what they did. See the C-97/Boeing 377 kits for another example.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC
I wouldn't put it past them just to make life difficult.
But, I have found this review which does seem to suggest that alternate parts are included. It certainly has tail surfaces for a B anyway. Unfortunately, no pics of the clear parts are provided.
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/march/first-looks/acad_b-17f.htm

At least the others on the sheet will be simple to source. A standard B-17 and two B-24J's.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 07:41 AM UTC
Earlier today I called a couple of local model shops (I say local, they're both two towns over and an hour away) to find out if they have any to look at. Guess what? They don't. At least it saved me a wasted trip. Both are claiming to be having problems with Academy's UK distributer, so are no longer stocking their kits. Which sucks for the customer.
I may just go ahead and order the F and hope it has the parts I need left in the box. If not its not a complete loss, as the sheet includes markings for B-17F 'The 8 Ball'. Clark Gable was a gunner on this 'fort.
I'm also a little undecided about cashing in my Airfix flying hours tokens and getting their B-24 for free, or paying good money for something better, in order to do Jimmy Stewarts aircraft.
heraldcoupe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 10:57 AM UTC
Frog produced a B-17E in 1/72 scale. I believe it was one of their latest kits, typical sparse cockpit, but overall quite a pleasant kit and not difficult to find.
Cheers,
Bill.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
I think the Frog Fortress is now boxed by Maquette? If so I've seen a few about cheap. Got any links with pics whats in the box?
My Academy B-17 arrived this mornings. Decals aren't the best, so its a good thing I got this set. As suspected it didn't have the clear parts for the E, but it does have lots of bits on the main sprues for other variants. So it should be possible to tart up a Frog Fortress with all those left overs.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 09:32 AM UTC
Even I, with my love of horrible old kits wouldn't soil Academy parts by putting them on a Frog kit. It's a B-17, if you squint at it. From several metres away. In the dark. In the fog. An adventurous person built one here.

I have it as part of the Maquette Boeing 307 kit. I don't know which is more frightening, the Maquette fuselage or the Frog B-17 donor kit. I went out and bought an Academy B-17D to use as a donor instead. It's that scary.

Oh, wait! I have a B-17D nose bowl that I'm not going to be using, don't I? PM Me your address and I'll bundle it up for you. The rest of the clear parts won't be much use to you, I'm afraid; the -E changed too many of them, but you can rob many of them from the -F sprue.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC
Its a little basic isn't it. Still looks they made a better attempt than Airfix or Revell did with their Fortress's at the time. Although it hs to be said both of those have one accurate feature that no modern B-17 has. RIVETS. I had the privelage to see Duxford's B-17G stripped down for its repaint last year and I could not believe the sheer amount and size of the things covering the surface! Maybe the Mad Rivetter of Airfix was onto something. I generally find that the Maquette re-box's I've had have been worse than the originals due to wear of the mold. A real shame as Frog seem to have done a lot of stuff no one else has or probably ever will again. The Baltimore and Maryland in my stash have seen better days, but considering I paid less than a fiver for each I can't really complain. I know they've since been bettered, but I'm not that desperate.

Jessie, thanks thats an offer I can't really refuse! I will PM you my address.
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP