_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:48 Eduard Morane Parasol
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 09:48 AM UTC
I've been at this on and off since the start of the year though it got set aside for a couple of months after an over-zealous sanding of the wing trailing edge combined with a dip in hot water to resolve the banana-wing issue resulted in something even worse: a trailing edge that rippled nicely! After a couple of months I forced myself to address the problem and went with smothering the offending area in cyano, allowing it to dry hard and sanding thoroughly for some time. Turned out I could have addressed the banana-wing simply by giving it a good old-fashioned bend. It's not perfect but it allowed me to get on with my life!

Otherwise I added some Archers raised decals for the stitching along the fuselage vertices and replaced most of the photo-etch struts with aerofoil-section material to avoid that 2D look. This wasn't without it's own little dramas, all that elastic is rather powerful stuff and crushed the struts a couple of times before I learnt my lesson and reinforced the junctions. Apart from that I think the kit is pretty much out of the box with a lot of sanding to refine those early Eduard short-run chunks, hope you enjoy!

GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi,

Really inspiring me, Shining...!!!!

Thanks

Bye
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
Every so often I take mine out of the box, look at it, sigh and put it back in.

Then people like you come along and actually build the thing! That's just fantastic
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 01:52 PM UTC
Nice work!
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi David!
When I first saw such a plain build by a fellow modeller I said to myself: you gotta have one of those!
Actually buying one has been thoughter than I thougt, but at last I got one from Brazil for a wooping (and undisclosed here price, who ever knows who will read this post, and if one turns out to be SWMBO I'll have to find myself a new home ).
Now, when I opened the box I got a panic attac: plastic is awful, and a lot of PE parts, way too much for my liking....
A long story short I am now scared to death to tackle such a beauty....
Could you please better explain how did you scratch built the sturts? That wuold be of great help! Also do you happen to have some pictures of the building process?
I'll appreciate this very much....
Thank you
Ciao
Edo
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 02:03 AM UTC
Thanks for all your comments, really glad you like her!

I haven't any in-build shots Eduardo but the struts are quite simple once you have some aerofoil section lying about, which thanks to purchasing a few Aeroclub kits over the past few years I do. I'm sure this can be bought quite easily though. It was simply a case of measuring the length of the photoetch item, cutting a piece of strut material to length, drilling holes in either end and on the right place on the fuselage, inserting a short length of thin plastic rod in the strut and hey presto! This is a good kit to try it out on as well, not many struts!

The Eduard parts are quite rough but with a bit of a sand do very nicely. I did lay a sheet of plasticard on the top and bottom of the fuselage to hide the seams. Again this is a good place to start with these early Eduard kits as it is so simple, essentially a square-section box, a big wing and some struts in between.

Regarding the photoetch, I admit I left a good deal of it out as I frankly can't stand the stuff!

I look forward to seeing some more in the future perhaps?
 _GOTOTOP