_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Faster than SR-71?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
While watching Discovery channel, they said that the fastest plane, the SR-71 has retired. If it does, what's gonna replace it? Will it be the rumored Aurora?
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 08:25 PM UTC
The SR-71 has been grounded for a couple of years. Right now the F-22 is the fastest, but the Aurora will be when it's unveiled. It is rumored to be able to fly at Mach 6.

However, the Aurora is rumored to be a spaceplane, not a conventional aircraft, so I don't know if I would give it the "Fastest Plane' title until we know more about it.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 09:56 PM UTC
TF is right. The Blackbird has been grounded for a couple years now. GPS and satelite technology put it out of a job.
As for the fastest plan. There is an arguement that it could be, but this arguement is based on the fact that (and I am taking a stab at this) that noone has ever opened her up to see what her max speed was. I found this link if interested.
http://www.voodoo.cz/sr71/sr71.html

In it is says the fastest recorded time is mach 3.5. A far cry from the mach 6 of the Aurora, but no pilot yet has been able to open her up either.
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
Paul
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:23 AM UTC
the Aurora is been flying for a while now.
but i saw on a tv show that a few Auroras crashed and the grounded then thats why.
the they have a few sr 71s flying agian

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/ go here then click on air craft projects.
and they have a story about the aurora i love reading stuff like this
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 10:35 AM UTC
The Aurora was supposed to be flying from Scotland off an airstrip called Machrihanish,
in Kintyre which has a Us Seal detacment at it and is the longest airstrip that NATO has
locals have claimed to have seen a ball of flame/light taking off from it, and some years back the Breakwater wall at Adrossan harbour was damaged very early in the morning
by what was claimed to be a plane breaking the sound barrier this was the offical reason given by the goverment it's more or less straight over the water from Kintyre now what sort of plane can do that sort of damage to a thick wall designed to withstand rough seas also
the dutch have radar reports of something doing mach 3+ over the North sea
I think it's already out there in use or final testing I dont think they'ed retire the SR1 without a replacement
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC
Does the X-15 count since it is retired as well?

RE: Aroura...
What was that movie quote from "The Usual Suspects" about the devil's greatest PR job was convincing the world he did not exist...

So what if all this conspiracy stuff is just smoke and mirrors to make the bad guys think there is already something up there... uh oh.. men in black knocking at my door..:-)

When I was a kid I saw some illicit photos of Ankor Wat taken, supposedly, from an SR71. They coulda been most anything, but it seemed cool as hell at the time.

I hope we have loads of goodies up and out there that we don't need to know about yet..... since NONE of us heard thing one about the Soviet Pacific fleet 'wiretap' from Blind Man's Bluff -great read by the way-

Mike
 _GOTOTOP