Modern aircraft of the United States.
194th Fighter Sqdn Contacts
Mustanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
This may be a real long shot, but here goes.

I'm turning to Aeroscale (and some other forums)for help with a build project to start in January. I've already tried contacting the 144th Figher Wing PAO (email and snail mail) and I have not received a response (more two weeks now).

I'm planning on building a 1/32nd scale F-106A and a 1/32nd scale T-33 in early '80s 194th Figher Squadron (Calif Air Guard) colors.

Does anyone have contacts that can advise me on finishing the markings (pilot and crew chief names on a/c especially by tail number)?. I already have the tail numbers of each F-106 that served with the 194th. Next issue is the T-33 tail number(s) (I have tail number and a pic already) and any special markings.

I'm interested in this build because I lived in Fresno years ago near the airport and I used to watch 194th aircraft take off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,:)

Jim Starling
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 11:52 AM UTC
Jim, for the most part you're going to need to hit the PAO of the squadron. Patients and perseverance will pay off eventually. Unfortunatley, a search for info on google didn't show anything on squadron assignments of the airframe. I do suggest you find out which squdron they train with or is in the fighter wing. Another place that might be helpful is the Museum at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA. They have helped me in the past.
Mustanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim, for the most part you're going to need to hit the PAO of the squadron. Patients and perseverance will pay off eventually. Unfortunatley, a search for info on google didn't show anything on squadron assignments of the airframe. I do suggest you find out which squdron they train with or is in the fighter wing. Another place that might be helpful is the Museum at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA. They have helped me in the past.

thanks, Steve.
Another modeller turned up a T-33 tail number for me and some phots, so I'm good on the squadron hack, and I already have all the tail numbers for 194th Delta Darts. I'm now just unsure of special markings such as names (if any) on the a/c.

I've tried to contact the 144th Wing PAO by both email and snailmail. No response in more than two weeks. I would call, but my voice is still recovering from throat cancer surgery, so that's not an option.

I may just try the snail mail route again and address the letters to the squadron and wing commanding officers and see if that knocks something loose.

I could also try Bolling AFB (an hour or so away). They have a lot of Air Force historical stuff there. But I doubt they have much Air Guard info.

What museum is at Langley?

Thanks again, Steve.

Jim Starling
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 04:29 PM UTC
Ok, on the NASA side of Langley there is Langley Air and Space Museum. They have been helpful with a lot of research. Now as far names for specific aircraft, I'd try and find if the squadron has a facebook or .org site and see if their are associations out there that handle reunions. I myself am member of a few groups for the Navy and the ship I was on during my time in.

A quick google gave the California military Museum in Sacramento. They might actually have a Squadron Roster on hand as they are the CA ANG archive site as well. Another source is good old Military.com if you are vet. they have unit rosters and for 194th/144th wing there are quite a few members there present during their deployment of the F-106.
Mustanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
Thanks, Steve.

real good info. Very much appreciated .

regards,

Jim
RonC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 02:56 AM UTC
Jim, you may try here as well, for additional info:
http://forum.f-106deltadart.com/index.cgi

I spent 13 years of my military career on F-106's, at McChord AFB, Tyndall AFB, and Griffiss AFB. Saw every F-106 that still existed during those years, and went TDY with the 194th guys quite a bit. Great aircraft! I was involved with the 475th Test Sqdn. back in the early-mid 70's, and helped in the development of the Snapshoot HUD and the helmet-mounted sight for missile control. Interesting times!

Regards,
Ron
Mustanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim, you may try here as well, for additional info:
http://forum.f-106deltadart.com/index.cgi

I spent 13 years of my military career on F-106's, at McChord AFB, Tyndall AFB, and Griffiss AFB. Saw every F-106 that still existed during those years, and went TDY with the 194th guys quite a bit. Great aircraft! I was involved with the 475th Test Sqdn. back in the early-mid 70's, and helped in the development of the Snapshoot HUD and the helmet-mounted sight for missile control. Interesting times!

Regards,
Ron

Thanks, Ron for the post.

I bet you have some interesting stories.

I've been to the F-106 website you mentioned and no luck so far on contacts. Good info, however, on ejection seats, instrument panels and the gun system.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of landing gear bays would you? My research is lacking in that area.
RonC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:58 AM UTC
Jim,

I'd have to dig out my old photos, and I'm not quite sure where they all are! Most of the wheel wells were in zinc chromate, as I recall. On aircraft 787, which we had at Griffis, there was a twist to this, however. It was piloted by a Maj. Fronzaglia, and across the main gear doors was painted the Italian flag tricolor, to commemorate his heritage. It was rather neat looking, and I believe this aircraft is preserved in the Air Force Museum at WPAFB now.

I wrote the alignment procedures for the Snapshoot HUD as used on production aircraft, and assisted in putting this mod into service later on in the late 70's & early 80's. After my stint on F-106's (and F-101B/F's as well), I went on to fly on AC-130H Spectre Gunships...but that's another story!

Ron
Mustanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,

I'd have to dig out my old photos, and I'm not quite sure where they all are! Most of the wheel wells were in zinc chromate, as I recall. On aircraft 787, which we had at Griffis, there was a twist to this, however. It was piloted by a Maj. Fronzaglia, and across the main gear doors was painted the Italian flag tricolor, to commemorate his heritage. It was rather neat looking, and I believe this aircraft is preserved in the Air Force Museum at WPAFB now.

I wrote the alignment procedures for the Snapshoot HUD as used on production aircraft, and assisted in putting this mod into service later on in the late 70's & early 80's. After my stint on F-106's (and F-101B/F's as well), I went on to fly on AC-130H Spectre Gunships...but that's another story!

Ron

I bet you have both great Dart and Herc' stories, Ron. Love to hear some of them!

I'm a writer, so I'm always interested in other people's experiences.
RonC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
We'll stay in touch, Jim. Picked up a few Air Medals and a DFC along the way, so I had some "interesting" times.

Regards,
Ron
Mustanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We'll stay in touch, Jim. Picked up a few Air Medals and a DFC along the way, so I had some "interesting" times.

Regards,
Ron

Wow. DFC. Love to hear the story behind.

Regards,

Jim
 _GOTOTOP