_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/72 bf 110E Build
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 09:03 AM UTC

Hi all
I have started the build of the Eduard 1/72 Bf 110E, you can see my Review here. I intend to finish it in the markings depicted on the box cover. I can't resist those teeth on the nose.
I will be making use of the Brassin and extra detailing sets supplied by Eduard as well.
I have just finished putting the cockpit together. I glued as much stuff in as possible before spraying it with primer then painting it mostly RLM 02. I do like the small inserts that fit over the gap where the wing root shows inside the cockpit.
Primer and RLM02 has been applied and dried to the cockpit. There are quite a few photo etched parts to fit which is a bit time consuming but worth the effort.
tim:)

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi all
A bit more progress last night. glued in the ribs that detail the main undercarriage bay. Still looks a bit bare in there though. The ribs are part of the PE detailing set [72542] and don’t come with the Profipack kit. I glued the wings together at the same tim. being impatient I glued the nacelles together and joined them to the wing. Just using liquid glue so far.
Undid the clamps this evening and it's all looking pretty good. I added the separate wing tips about 30 mins ago.
tim

ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
looking good!
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi all
Joined the fuselage halves together after adding the last of the PE parts and added all but one of the MG FF guns spare magasines. After a couple of hours to set I removed the clamps from the fuselage and then glued the wings and horizontal stabilisers. I had already glued the vertical fins before adding the stabilisers. There was a slight step where the one piece horizontal stabiliser fits into the rear fuselage. I deepened the recess a fraction and this sorted the problem out. Very impressive fit so far.
This evening I added the resin nose gun bay mounts. The kit does not require any surgery, it just fits straight in after removing the casting stump.

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi all
I finished off the cockpit adding a few more of Eduards pre coloured PE parts. The photo etched radiator faces were also added. These are available with the separate PE release for the Me 110 from Eduard. They do look much better than the plastic radiator faces included with the kit.
The resin under nose fairing [part of the Brassin release] was added after I cut out two slots for the magazines. A bit scary as the resin is very thin. Strange thing is Eduard instructions don’t mention cutting out the slots to fit the magazines, but I cannot see how else they will fit.

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi all
Apologies for the few weeks since my last posting.
Anyway before I went on my travels I applied Halfords grey primer before painting the main colours. The under surfaces were sprayed with Halford matt black and when dry I then airbrushed a thin mix of Xtracrylic dk sea grey mixed with Xtracrylic night black. The mix kills the strong black colour of the Halfords paint. The upper and lower demarcation line was masked with Tamiya tape and a little Humbrol masking fluid was applied to create a ragged edge.
The rear part of the canopy was masked using the masks from the kit.
Upper surfaces were painted with acrylics from the Life Colour range. I used RLM 74. It’s the first time I have used Life Colour paints and I was very impressed.
Yesterday I masked and painted the yellow fuselage band.
Hopefully will do some decaling over the next few days.

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 02:53 AM UTC

..coming on nicely Tim!

did you see the current issue of SAM...Jamie Haggo apparently built five of these in about a week!
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..coming on nicely Tim!

did you see the current issue of SAM...Jamie Haggo apparently built five of these in about a week!

Hi Neil
No I have not seen the article, must find a copy. Sounds like a great effort though.
All the best.
tim
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hi all.
I applied the decals last weekend. They settle beautifully with Microsol. Also did a little gentle weathering to the surfaces. Not far now.

MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 04:44 PM UTC
Wow! This is looking great Tim, very nice work. Please keep the pics coming and thanks for sharing. Take care.
Jim

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi all
Cheers Jim I certainly will.
Hi all
I am just adding some finishing touches: mass balances, aerials, guns, ammo boxes, canopy, etc. The nose guns and ammo boxes are from the Eduard Brassin range specifically for the 1/72 Bf 110E. The distinctive aerial [a PE part] under the fuselage has been a pain to install, so I am making a plastic version from stretched sprue. Eduard don’t include a plastic version in their kit. The wheels are the Eduard resin wheels and lok very good. Mind you so do the plastic wheels supplied with the kit. I do need to acquire some line for the aerial.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
Nice work Tim!

Working on mine right now!

Magnus
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC
Wow- beautiful work here! If you're talking about the blind landing "clothesline" antenna- I find them to be a real pain in 1/48! Really nice 110, Tim- cheers!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 06:35 AM UTC
Tim, good work all the way around. Thanks for sharing it with us. Russell

P.S. When the G model 110 comes out as a day fighter in December I think I will snatch it up. I have never built an Eduard kit before, this would be a good opportunity for me to do so. In 72 scale too!!
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC
Cheers Guys
Russell - I will be keen to acquire the Eduard G model of the Bf 110 particularly the Nightfighter.
Enjoy your build Magnus, I'm enjoying your enthusiastic review/build

Hi all
Well I am now calling this project finished. It has survived a crash landing on the floor, when the wheels, U/C legs, props, aerials and canopy all broke off. Parts flew into each corner of my kitchen and took a bit of finding. The great thing about plastic kits is that despite damage things can be nearly always repaired.
It has to be one of the best kits I have put together. For me it has to be one of the kits of the year. Not the easiest with all the PE parts and the cockpit canopy needs care putting together. I spent some time trying to fit the separate nose section. The resin is pretty thick where the gun barrels fit and I was a bit worried of breaking those lovely resin barrels. call me a chicken, but I left the part off.
Would I build another? Absolutely.
Thanks for looking in.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 01:08 PM UTC
Tim, a beautiful build indeed! Great to look at. Thanks for sharing it with us. Russell
 _GOTOTOP