_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
F-105D Thuderchief - Pin Up II
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC
This is a build log for the Hobby Boss 1:48 scale F-105D Thunderchief. This build is for the Pin Up II campaign. The model will represent an aircraft flown in Viet Nam with the 354th TFS. The plane was known as "Pussy Galore" and the nose art was placed by the refueling receptacle to help KC-135 boom operators find the right spot for the refueling probe.

I will be using the Aires cockpit and landing upgrade sets along with some scratchbuilding and modifications to kit parts to enhance details. The kit decals are very nice and if they go down as expected I'll be very pleased.

The box shot:

The starting point:
The first Aires cockpit piece is temporarily glued in and alignment for cockpit tub have been marked.

The instrument panel from the Aires set has been modified by removing the side auxillary panels in order to replicate the look of the acutal cockpit better. The radar housing was also removed. The aux side panels will be attached to plastic card and fitted into the cockpit tub later.

For more in progress pics: F-105D
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC
Shaving down the top wing piece in order to fit the resin MLG replacement.

The Aires MLG resin replacement part.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi Joe.
Looking forward to your build log. Not a kit in my stash, but I have been very tempted recently.
All the best.
tim
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 03:46 AM UTC
Work continues on the Thud when I have time which is usually in spurts of 30 minutes at a time here and there.

So I've been opening up various vents and enhancing them. Here's an in-progress shot of the fuselage vents.

The rear fuselage

Packing
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
This looks like it should be a fun project. I'm looking forward to more progress pics.
 _GOTOTOP