Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Fw 190D-9 in-progress pics.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
Just started this the other day, its a 1/32 scale Revell Fw 190D-9.
Not much to see here in this first pic, just some of the more tedious basic painting of some of the small parts...

I found the back of the propeller blades had some large sinkmarks and they had to be filled with putty and sanded smooth.
There was nothing wrong with the gun cowl, I just needed to fill a couple panel lines to make it into a late three piece gun cowl, in this pic you can see I already carved off the bulged flairs on the sides which were not needed for the varient I want to model.
The radiator was first sprayed gloss black and then I airbrushed Testors Chrome at an oblique angle so it would only hit the raised surface detail, it worked quite well and looks more like metal than metal!

More in-progress pics soon, this model will be a speed build.

Matrixone
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
Looks good so far Les! I'll be watching this one, after completing the Hasegawa Fw190A6, and having a couple of Dora kits yet to build

Doug
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 06:58 AM UTC
Thanks Doug,
I have built two of the Hasegawa Dora kits and they built up just fine, this Revell kit uses the same molds as Hasegawa but is not quite as nice to put together, the sink marks on the back of the propeller blades are an example of this.

The engine plug and cockpit parts are now painted but the cockpit is not glued together in this pic.
The engine plug will get some weathering in the form of some mud splatters using thick earth colored paint sprayed through my airbrush at low air pressure to represent muddy water that was splashed up from the wheels.

A close up of the cockpit, this was painted from memory but I found I made some mistakes after checking my JaPo and Eagle Edition Dora books...no problem since the IP is not glued in yet so correcting the errors will be easy.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 06:58 AM UTC
More work on the large Dora...

The airframe is built and I am starting to put paint on the model, here you can see I sprayed a base coat of RLM 76 on the sides and undersurfaces followed by airbrushing some black pre-shading and white highlights, next up will be another coat of RLM 76 to cover up some of the pre-shade and highlights.

The spinner was masked off and the white spiral was sprayed on, the prop blades were also painted.

Matrixone
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 06:03 AM UTC
Looks good Les!

Did you spray the white, then mask the spinner spiral, and then spray the black?

Also, what color are your prop blades? They look black in the photo, but it may just be my monitor.

Doug
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks Doug!

There is nothing wrong with your monitor, the blackgreen prop blades look black against the white background. The prop blades also have some light weathering done with the airbrush, this should be able to be seen on the pics of the finished model.

The spinner was painted flat white first and then I used narrow strips of Tamiya tape to mask off the spiral and then airbrushed on the black.

More work on the Dora, the Alclad II was airbrushed on.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 12:06 PM UTC
Painting continues...this time the uppersurface of the wings have been painted on both models. The highlights and pre-shading have been nicely toned down by the paint.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 07:30 AM UTC
I did the last of the camo painting, since I am making a model of a Fieseler built Dora the mottling on it is somewhat more dense than you would normally see on this type of aircraft.
You might notice I did the style of mottling on each side of the fuselage slightly different from one another, I did this to represent how fighter aircraft in German factories were painted, each side of the fuselage was painted by different painters when the mottling was applied which would often result in each side of the aircrafts mottling looking a bit different.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 05:32 AM UTC
The KG(j)55 RVD band was masked and sprayed on the fuselage, it is a nice splash of color against the drab camouflage colors.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 12:12 PM UTC
Just a few hours ago I finished putting on the last of the decals on the D-9 and K-4. Once the decals dry for a full day I will spray on a coat of semi-gloss clear to get the models ready for the weathering steps to come.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC
Much of the weathering is now done, only a little more weathering will be added after all the smaller bits are on the models.

Matrixone
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 10:25 AM UTC
Looks great, nice work.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thank you Kevin,
Both of these models have the landing gear on, almost all of the small parts are on now too so it won't be much longer before they are finished.
Getting pictures of these models may take much longer to do, I take all my pics outdoors and it is expected to rain almost everyday next week.

Matrixone
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 03:14 PM UTC
Great work Les, I have been neglecting my modeling time and haven't finished a kit this year I think. Aweful, just aweful. I started some just haven't finished. You are inspiring to see all the kits you finish. Russell
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
Thanks again Russell, I expect these models will be finished in two to three days. Now I have to think of something to build next...maybe another Japanese plane, maybe even two.

Matrixone
 _GOTOTOP