_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
MH/HH-60G Pave Hawk Walk-Arounds
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 04:40 AM UTC
Like the title says, I'm looking for a walk around of the USAF MH/HH-60G Pave Hawk. I can find ones of the Black Hawk and Sea Hawk, but none for the Pave Hawk.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC
Here are a few for you and anyone else who needs them.

Pave Hawk 1
Pave Hawk 2
Pave Hawk 3
Pave Hawk 4 (incorrectly labeled as an MH-60G Black Hawk)
Pave Hawk 5

Those should get you started.

RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 05:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like the title says, I'm looking for a walk around of the pavehawk. I can find one of the blackhawk and seahawk, but none for the pavehawk.

Matt;
Gino has gotten U started w/ some links, but bear in mind...
There are (2) distinct models of the Pave Hawk. HH & MH, One
is used for SAR and the other for SOC
Happy Rotor building!!!!! Rotorhead out.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are (2) distinct models of the Pave Hawk. HH & MH, One
is used for SAR and the other for SOC...

They are not really "distinctly" different. They are the same aircraft. The name difference was only due to the command they fell under. Over the last few decades, the USAF command who owned the H-60Gs has changed between Air Combat Command (ACC) and Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC).

Initially, they were owned by AFSOC and were a Special Ops asset. They were known as the MH-60G, the M being for Multi-mission helicopter. A few years ago, they were transfered to ACC, where they were used as CSAR (Combat Search And Rescue) and are designated HH-60G. H is the designation for a rescue helicopter.

The only thing that changed on the aircraft though is the designation. They have changed over the years as upgrades and new equipment have been added though. But like I said, the aircraft is still the same under either designation.
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 02:13 AM UTC
So, I can build either bird using Academy's HH-60G kit?
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only thing that changed on the aircraft though is the designation. They have changed over the years as upgrades and new equipment have been added though. But like I said, the aircraft is still the same under either designation.

Gino,
Did not mean to start a debate. I concur, they are both of
the Blackhawk family, but based on there mission assignment
is where the become different aircraft. IE Equipment fitted
Rescue hoist,Armament,Navigation Equipment,RWAR,FLIR,COMM,
not to mention interior layout. A SAR helo HH, will not be as
heavily armed as the SOC MH.
Removed by original poster on 10/16/12 - 02:28:33 (GMT).
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So, I can build either bird using Academy's HH-60G kit?

Yes, you can build either one from the Academy MH-60G because they are the same aircraft... As I answered in your same question from Feb '11, with pics (here.) The only difference between now and then is that you can now get the External Gun Mounts used over the last few years on HH-60Gs from Cobra Company.

The MH or HH designation is only based on the time when you are building it from. The best bet is to find a pic of one you like and copy it.

As Todd and I agree, the only differences are mission-equipment that can be added/deleted/changed as need for each mission. The aircraft is the same and the designation only changed in a day by the stroke of a pen when they were transferred from AFSOC (MH) to ACC (HH).
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 02:35 PM UTC
Thanks Gino.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 03:50 PM UTC
Matt & Gino
The reason I responded so quickly, is because back in the '80s when Academy first released the MH-60G kit, I purchased
one, and when I broke it open to drool, all I did was cry.

Hence forth I did adamant research, photo trips, and correspondence with Chris (Cobra Co.) to build an accurate HH-60G helo on my own from said kit. Cobra Co now makes the Blackhawk weapons kit, MH-60L kit, and other details from that adventure.

In all aspects it doesn't matter which kit you choose, it's all about how much additional work and CC sets you want to throw at it. You Gino, as am I, are pretty involved in the details of a build, and I can't resist adding that extra touch when manufacturers fall short of the mark.

Matt: Just pic a particular acft w/ photo references given
and enjoy your build. Good luck and Stay clear of the Rotorwash
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 06:34 PM UTC
The next question is when do you want the aircraft to represent? Out of the box, the Academy kit (minus the .50 cals in the doors, they were only tested in this position and not used operationally) represents an early '90s MH-60G under AFSOC. The Cobra Company sets will allow you to build anything from a '90s MH-60G to pretty much a current HH-60G.

That brings up the next question...is it going to be an MH-60G or an HH-60G? As stated above, an MH-60G and an HH-60G are the same aircraft.

Here are a few options.

You could do one of the few desert camo (brown and sand) MH-60Gs from the 55th Spec Ops Wing during ODS ('90-'91).

You could also go with an early to mid '90s Euro 1 camo (dark green, medium green, and medium gray) scheme.

To make a later version, you have to add some things. A good start, is to get the Cobra Company MH/HH-60G update set.

This pic shows most of the latest upgrades for more current HH-60Gs, including the external weapons and ammo can mounts.

My HH-60G is based on this helo from Iraq in 2003 stationed out of Davis-Monthan AFB, NM. It has a camo scheme very similar to the older 3-color (sand, brown, and khaki green) DCU uniforms worn at the time. Only a few were painted in this camo scheme.

Most current ones are painted in AFSOC Grey (Gunship grey, FS 36118 is really close).

Here is a similar one in AFSOC Grey with internal gun mounts and offset weather radar.

Also, some have the newer, center nose mounted (a.k.a snoopy nose) weather radar and others still have the lower left offset weather radar in both Euro 1 camo and AFSOC Grey. The same is the case for the newer, external weapons and ammo can mounts as well.

I also found a couple pics of an MH-60G in overall AFSOC Gray w/out plume detectors. It does have the nose-mounted radar and under the nose FLIR turret though.

To muddy the waters even more, the color schemes are not a definitive indicator of time and type of aircraft. There are still Euro 1 camo HH-60Gs with most, if not all of the block 152 upgrades flying. The AFSOC Grey repaint usually occurs when it goes in for depot level rebuild. Some units and/or contractors are able to add the different upgrade parts w/out a depot level rebuild. So repaints are slow to come.

As I always say, the best bet is to find a picture of one you want to build and copy it. The features have changed quite a bit and still change often as technology and tactics change.

Good luck on it and let me know if you have any more questions.
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 04:09 PM UTC
I plan on doing the desert camo. Been doing too many single color camos, lately.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I plan on doing the desert camo. Been doing too many single color camos, lately.

These may help then.

Good luck and show some pics once you get started.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hey Gino,
Do you have any pics of the Sand,Brown,Green camo birds you mentioned. Is that the one you built? That would be a very
interesting change of scheme to build. Although I do like
the Euro 1 type scheme too. Thnx Cheers
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 05:09 PM UTC
Todd,
Yes, that is the one I built. They were out of the 305th Rescue Squadron, Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC), Davis-Montham AFB, AZ and the 301st Rescue Squadron, AFRC, Patrick AFB, FL and flew in OIF 1, '03-'04. Here are a few pics.

retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 07:26 PM UTC
I have noticed that the Spec Ops version is unmarked in photos. Is this do to plausible deniability?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have noticed that the Spec Ops version is unmarked in photos. Is this do to plausible deniability?

No, from what I have seen, all have at least the star and bar marking on the fuselage and USAF and number on the tail. It is hard to deny that the aircraft is US since we are one of the few countries who use them.

Here are a few more of the sand/brown ones from ODS.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:02 AM UTC
How about a modern HH-60G "Pedro" from A'stan with a 'stash?

They are from the 56th Rescue Squadron out of RAF Lakenheath, England. More info on markings here.
RobH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC
As we now have the KH HH-60 Pavehawk out, I was searching for all sorts of photos of various versions of the Blackhawk.

Came across this superb set from 2017, and as this thread hasn't been updated since 2016, I'll assume it will be new to a few of you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kakuzai/albums/72157667252167669

The photographer also has other excellent galleries including two Japanese UH-60s.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 09:17 AM UTC
Nice pictures. They show lots of details that will be helpful.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC
Here is a great rundown of all the changes the MH/HH-60G has gone through over the years. Great pics to demonstrate them as well.

MH/HH-60G Pavehawk Modifications

Additionally, you can now build a pretty accurate, up to date HH-60G out of the box using the new(ish) Kitty Hawk 1/35 HH-60G kit. It is really nice.

It comes with decals for either an older EURO One camo scheme or an up to date AFSOC Grey scheme w/external gun mounts and all Block-152 upgrades.

Removed by original poster on 05/05/20 - 21:57:33 (GMT).
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 09:56 AM UTC

I have built and reviewed the Kitty Hawk 1/35 scale HH-60G Pave Hawk. It was a great kit and I fully enjoyed it. You can read the build review here.
markiii
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 10:23 AM UTC
Nice build Gino!
I didn't see it posted here, but there is a good walk around on Prime Portal also.
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/sal_provenzano/hh-60g/index.php?Page=1
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 11:21 AM UTC
Thanks Mark. Those are some nice pics. Sal also posted the pics above listed as Pave Hawk 2.
 _GOTOTOP