_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
AAA Old Slow and Ugly
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Only thing I don't have is a ship

Ah, your own personal dark side. Before I started this TDY, I had 4 car models and 2 of them were my son's discards. Now I think I've added 8 car kits (all picked up at good will for less than $4 each). I probably had 6 ships, all steel hull, all WWII or later. I've managed to pick up 3 sailing ships at the same source. They had a 1/400 Enterprise, but they wanted nearly $30, so it stayed there...
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One day you will venture over to the dark side ... and when you do ...there is no turning back !

I have a very well covered stash . From WW 1 to modern , cars and the odd motorbike has found it's way in there . Only thing I don't have is a ship .

Terri

Terri,
At one point I was a car guy; F1, Racing, exotics, etc., then the Armor bug bit, and I found Armorama. Spent nearly two years there learning the basics. Then my brother got me back into aircraft, and I've never looked back. One day I'll venture over to the Dark side as the WNW kits are just unreal, but for now I'm more then content living my dream of building every aircraft in my area of interest. Of course I know that there I is literally no chance of even coming close at my age, but a guy just has to try.

Joel
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 01:11 PM UTC
I always loved f1 models. I think tamiya really puts every ounce of their soul into those kits.

But you're really at the mercy of the decals. Could never fully reconcile that. I've promised myself to build a minimum one aircraft with only the stencils decalled this year. I will emancipate myself.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always loved f1 models. I think tamiya really puts every ounce of their soul into those kits.

But you're really at the mercy of the decals. Could never fully reconcile that. I've promised myself to build a minimum one aircraft with only the stencils decalled this year. I will emancipate myself.

Richard, there is a new guy in town with respect to 1/20 scale cars: Ebro. The CEO was the chief designer for Tamiya car models. He's solved a few of he major issues that plagued the Tamiya kits like the exhausts. His are just two pieces, and fit perfectly.

As for decals, I had to order sheets of tire logos, cigarette logos per car from Japan, & China. The decals always came, weren't too bad in price either. There is one guy here in the states, IndyCals that makes aftermarket decals using a Alps printer. He has all the logos needed per car. Can't understand how he gets to do what he does, but he's been at it for many years.

Joel
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Richard, there is a new guy in town with respect to 1/20 scale cars: Ebro. The CEO was the chief designer for Tamiya car models. He's solved a few of he major issues that plagued the Tamiya kits like the exhausts. His are just two pieces, and fit perfectly.

As for decals, I had to order sheets of tire logos, cigarette logos per car from Japan, & China. The decals always came, weren't too bad in price either. There is one guy here in the states, IndyCals that makes aftermarket decals using a Alps printer. He has all the logos needed per car. Can't understand how he gets to do what he does, but he's been at it for many years.

Joel

Maybe Richard meant the 1/12 scale cars. I have nearly everyone of them in the stash and have built the ones I haven't got. They are fantastic and caught a young fellas eye when I was one..
 _GOTOTOP