_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
F6F with corrected outlines on Hyperscale
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 04:58 PM UTC

The details added are amazing, but the most impressive to me is the analysis of the outlines. I especially love the description of the "Grumman nose ridge"... It shows how the functionality and the intentions behind the design are closely linked to what the pilot can see... Hence the focus on canopies and how they relate to the fuselage...:

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/f6f/f6fe-1.html

Gaston
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 05:14 PM UTC
The guy has put a lot of work into this, no doubt about it, but the kits available of the Hellcat look like a Hellcat to me.

Some people may get off on millimetre accuracy, but unless the kit is grossly out in some dimensions why go to all thisn trouble?

Yes you end up with a super accurate Hellcat, but to the casual observer there would be no difference between this and an OOB Hellcat.
andrewj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 05:45 PM UTC
A fantstic bit of modelling indeed, a credit to the modeller and the work involved.
But, for me I have my doubts when he states "The following drawings are my original drawings, They are traced from actual A/C photos and are adjusted deformation as much as possible. So I believe these drawings are highly accurate in outline shape ".
Hmm ! Maybe, but possibly he'd have been better off measuring an actual aircraft and drawing from there.

Andrew
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 10:25 AM UTC

But he is in Japan and has no access to the real aircraft: How come the drawings and kits of people who DO have access to the real thing are obviously inferior to his? (Note in particular the issue of the tear-drop Eduard fuselage, which they appear to have fixed only on their 1/72 kit)

Gaston
 _GOTOTOP