_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Replacement!
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 11:33 AM UTC
I've already proposed this campaign on Armorama and seem to be getting a good turn out thus far so I would like to extend the campaign here to Aeroscale.

This build would require TWO models, a predecessor and its successor. Any ear, nationality, and scale (though it seems better if both kits are the same scale). Any type of aircraft is acceptable; trainers, reconnaissance, ground-attack, bombers etc. Helicopters are also welcome.

What dictates a predecessor and its successor would be, for example; Grumman's F8F Bearcat being the successor to the Grumman F6F Hellcat.

Here is a link to the Armorama forum, I'm also open to PMs if needed.

http://armorama.com/forums/197638&page=1
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 11:48 AM UTC
In the case of the Fairey Swordfish and Albacore, we'd need to do three; A swordfish, an Albacore and another Swordfish...
For the DC-3, we'd need...another DC-3!
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 06:49 PM UTC
Jessica, I know nothing of the Albatross, but if it was build to specially replace the Swordfish, it's game.

As for the DC-3, you would need either its predecessor or successor, not just a variant.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 06:54 PM UTC
The Albacore was indeed created to replace the Swordfish. However, in the event, the Swordfish outlasted it in service, so the Albacore can be said to have been replaced by its predecessor.

As far as the DC-3 goes, it's been a truism in aviation since the 1940s that "the only thing than can replace a DC-3 is another DC-3".
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 07:45 PM UTC
Ah, well, as for the Albatross, anything related to the Swordfish will be awesome, no idea why I love it but I do (sort of like the F4). Hopefully more people will take interest; should be some interesting models from Aeroscale.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 07:49 PM UTC
The old stringbag has character
Yes, I think that this one's going to be interesting indeed.
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
It will be if it makes it as a campaign here on Aeroscale, and even more so if it works within Model Shipwrights.

Do you know if it is possible to have one campaign gallery for all three sites? I think it would be very interesting to see once it's all over.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC
Jessica, don't forget the Fairey Barracuda, designed to replace both the Swordfish and the Albacore! I always thought it was an interesting design, what about you? Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 06:30 AM UTC
Yes, it's interesting, but it still didn't manage to actually replace the Stringbag, did it? I suppose that you could make a case for it having replaced the Applecore.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you know if it is possible to have one campaign gallery for all three sites? I think it would be very interesting to see once it's all over.

We put campaign galleries for site-wide campaigns in a slightly different place from our usual Aeroscale campaigns. Go to the PHOTOS tab at the top of your screen and then click on Campaigns » Currently Active Campaigns.

One of the staff will have to create the campaign gallery once the campaign becomes active.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It will be if it makes it as a campaign here on Aeroscale, and even more so if it works within Model Shipwrights.

I'm doing a Duel campaign covering aircraft, armor and ships. The gallery is right where Jessica suggested. I'm running the campaign thread on the KitMaker Modeling in General forum page. Seems to be working out well so far.

Michael
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 10:04 AM UTC
Thanks Michael and Jessica.

Didn't realize you were talking about the Albacore, I read Albatross for some odd reason, sounds more like a plane I guess?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 10:07 AM UTC
And it most definitely came after the Stringbag
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 02:33 PM UTC
One could save a lot of time by doing a CF-18 being replaced by the air freshener from an F-35 (only bit anyone can afford).
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC
Christopher,

OK, I have way too much to do already, but I really like the sound of this one. A couple of questions:

1. When is this campaign starting and how long will it run?

2. Do the two aircraft need to be from the same manufacturer (as the examples so far were)? Or any two so long as one is clearly a replacement for the other (such as the Douglas Devastator being replaced by the Grumman Avenger)?

I've got a bad feeling I'm getting sucked into this one!

Michael
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 11:08 AM UTC
Michael, I was thinking March 1st to September 1st. I personally think year long builds are a bit silly but if people need more time we can extend the timeline.

And yes, your two models do not need to be from the same manufacturer, as long as they are the accepted successor. Devastator and Avengers would work just fine (and would be interesting to see built).
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 12:52 PM UTC
Christopher,

Thanks for the answers! I understand that a year long can be a bit much, but I still might suggest a bit longer than six months. You are asking people to build two models and don't forget the propensity of some members (guilty as charged ) to sign up for more than one campaign at a time.

Not sure I'd do the Devastator and Avenger (though I might), but I thought I'd ask. Very tempting...

Michael
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 04:25 PM UTC
Michael, as I said, the timeline is up for change if need be (can always make it longer on Aeroscale as well because it doesn't seem to be an issue Armorama); so far it looks like this campaign will be on Armorama and Aeroscale only as I haven't had any replies from Model Shipwrights.

And I certainly know what you're talking about, I think I'm set for NINE campaigns within the next six months or so? That isn't even count my Replacements! campaign! OK I guess I can knock that count down to eight because one is just a motorcycle campaign, that'll take all of a day? Maybe two?
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 12:38 PM UTC
Yeah, this one is getting tough to pass up. It brings up one of my favorite collection ideas: props to jets all in 1/32:

P-38 - F-80
P-47 - F-84
P-51 - F-86
F8F - F9F

I have all the models, in fact:

The problem is that the only set I have that isn't more or less started is probably the toughest, the P-38 (Trumpeter) and F-80 (Czech Model), two tricky kits. We'll see, I can always fall back on something like the F3F/F4F or Hurricane/Typhoon in 1/48. Arrghh, too many choices! I'm going to sign up now, you got me.

Michael
Tiger_213
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 05:59 PM UTC
Awesome Michael! Fairchild and Replublic have made some amazing stuff (minus the F-105, I hate it for some reason). I too, have thought about doing a P-47 and a F84, but I'd add the Thunderbolt II for good measure.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 08:22 AM UTC
The best plane to replace a C-130 is a Hercules ;-)
 _GOTOTOP