_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Eduard 1/48 Su-25 Frogfoot
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 07:10 AM UTC
Here's the subject of my latest Airfix Model World article which is in the current (November) issue.

Belarusian markings are from Linden Hill's "The Rook - Global Su-25s Part 1" and finished with AKAN acrylic paints. Ordnance are Eduard rocket pods and AeroBonus (Aires) bombs and Aphid missiles.

Cheers,
Eric
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 05:32 PM UTC
Eric, out standing build. I have this kit in the stash and brought the magazine to read your article and have it as ref for when I get around to building mine.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hi Eric,

Simply outstanding build! I just wanted to hear your opinion about the AKAN paint range... It does look great on your model, and I used their paint in my Yak-1 build. Are you satisfied with the color properties?

All the best,
Entoni
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric, out standing build. I have this kit in the stash and brought the magazine to read your article and have it as ref for when I get around to building mine.

Luciano, Thank you for those kind words! I hope you enjoy the article and that you find it helpful.

Cheers,
Eric
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Eric,

Simply outstanding build! I just wanted to hear your opinion about the AKAN paint range... It does look great on your model, and I used their paint in my Yak-1 build. Are you satisfied with the color properties?

All the best,
Entoni

Hi Entoni, Thank you!
I am very impressed with the AKAN paints. This was the first model I've finished with water-based acrylics, as I usually use enamels and lacquers, so it took a little practice to get the hang of airbrushing them.

My first attempts were less than successful only because I neglected to read the instructions on the label and thinned them as I would enamels (50/50) which is far too much! All that's required is 10% thinner (distilled water) and I also found they could be airbrushed straight from the bottle. Another difference was to use a lower air pressure, 12-15 psi, compared to the 18-20 I normally use.

Coverage was excellent and I used a primer to provide better adhesion. I felt the colors spot on with the exception of the grey-blue for the undersides. It appeared too dark when compared with photos of the real Belarusian Su-25s so I lightened it roughly 30% with white.

Cheers,
Eric
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi Eric,

Thanks! It really confirms my own experience with the AKAN. I was really surprised with the quality of their range. Again, really great looking model!

All the best,
Entoni
 _GOTOTOP