World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Late Mark Double Spitfire build in 1/72!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:30 AM UTC
Magnus,
A most impressive pair of Spits on a stick.
Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 01:57 AM UTC
Joel! The sticks really add something, don't they ?

More stuff on sticks... The masking film doesn't solve ALL masking issues, I still have to use the sticky yellow stuff now and then, in this case for painting the MSG lower surfaces...

Most major painting done, I even managed to shoot a thin layer of clear to prepare for decalling!

I've turned down some of the knobs in Lightroom by the way, I realise that the colours looked a bit wild in some of my earlier posts! This is quite close to the actual looks, at least with my eye- and screen settings

Magnus
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a Spitfire: it ALWAYS deserves to get finished!

And of course everyone knows that, "You just can't have too many Spitfires".

Very nice masking on the camo there Magnus You must be the only modeller that paints the upper surfaces first before the under surfaces For a more cost affective masking tape try "Kip" or "Tesa" tape. They have the same properties as Tamiya tape but come on a very much bigger role Find them on painters supply sites.

Your Spits are both looking very good, the Airfix one does look to be a bit more accurate in shape though. I am intrigued by the camouflage pattern, I need to do some research Keep up the good work.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:49 PM UTC
Mal! Painting order: I've never done it any other way ! I think it originally came from a reluctance for leaving tape in place for a prolonged period, lower surfaces are usually quicker to paint so that makes it logical in that sense. I'll try the reverse order next time !

Camo scheme: in this case I gladly left the research to Xtradecal, I went for their patterns without giving it much further thought... I'll have a look into the subject myself!

There are huge differences in both shape and size when comparing the kit parts but under a coat of paint it isn't that alarming really! I'm curious myself how much of the differences will be readily visible when they are finished.

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:11 PM UTC
Magnus,
I hereby proclaim you to be the "KING OF THE STICKS"

Just great progress with every update post. Both Spits should really make a giant leap towards completion with the decals added.

And Mal, I'm sorry to say that I've yet to complete a single Spitfire build. For that matter I don't have A P-51 in my display case, but I'm working on my very 1d P-47. Go figure.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 03:01 AM UTC
Joel! I do seem like an odd creature: the "sticks" thing and painting the under surfaces last !

Mal! Camo pattern: I took the Xtradecals instruction sheet for granted. It most probably is fairly inaccurate (quick comparison to photos shows several discrepancies). I would have expected better from Xtradecal!

Masking and painting yellow leading edges and sky fuselage band...

...results in those two Spits set out to dry...

And a bit of work tonight sees the first of the decals in place! In order to get a bit of difference and add some interest I'll go for a "wartime" scheme with the toned down roundels for one of the aircraft and the more colourful postwar markings for the other.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:53 AM UTC
I had to do a bit of out-of-sequence painting tonight.

There is NO CHANCE ON EARTH that I will be able to fit the dead flat and straight stripe decal to the curved and conical Spitfire rear fuselage and get an acceptable result (or at least I don't dare to try)... I have masked the stripes (starting with the black ones)...

...painted them and peeled away the masking. Not bad, white middle line tomorrow!

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:44 AM UTC
Magnus,
Nice effort on the two black stripes. Why they bother to make decals for impossible jobs is beyond me.

The only thing I would have done different, is that I would have painted the white 1st, then the two black stripes. It seems to me that it's much harder trying to mask both black stripes then just one white stripe.
Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 11:20 AM UTC
The only thing that I would have done differently, having painted the black stripes first, is to leave the inside masking on the black (that is masking where the white will go)then you can butt the strips of tape up against them when masking for the white; this ensures that the white and black edges are masked accurately to each other. I did this on my Airfix 1/24 Typhoon D-Day stripes, although I did paint the white first, but that was only because there are more of those, than the black. The reason that I didn't paint the whole area white first was that I wanted to weather trough the stripes to show the camo underneath as per the original.
Actually that isn't the only thing that I would have done differently as I would have painted on all of the markings!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal! Camo pattern: I took the Xtradecals instruction sheet for granted. It most probably is fairly inaccurate (quick comparison to photos shows several discrepancies). I would have expected better from Xtradecal!

It is just that I am so used to the WWII era pattern, having produced masks for it, that I immediately saw a difference! However it could be that it changed because of the new laminar flow wing as it's on the starboard wing that the pattern is noticeably different, but that is only really the width of the centre leading ocean grey area I need to do some research.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
Good evening Gentlemen! Magnus, backwards masker and king of sticks, calling from Sweden!

Joel! There really is some (semi)rational thinking behind it this time (and I am NOT making this up as I go )! I wanted the rearmost line in its correct position and that was a black one dictating what colour to start with. Masking along the black lines before painting white was a breeze.

Mal! Camo discrepancies aren't limited to the wings . For stripe painting procedure, see above !

White stripe...

Magnus
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
Nice looking Spit.
Watching this come together is making me want to start on Revell's 1/32nd scale Mk IIa.
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 12:05 PM UTC
Very nicely done Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
Magnus,
The stripes came out just fine. When I meant start with the white, I would have masked it so that it was the base color for both black stripes. That would put the trailing and leading edge in the correct position, and made masking them that much easier.

It's the end results that count, and like I said, your stripes came out perfectly.
Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 11:31 PM UTC
Andy! You know you have to build it, listen to the voices in your head !

Joel! Yep, I'm quite pleased with myself !

Still on sticks but a lot closer to standing on their wheels now...

All major decalling finished (Mal , I'll buy a few sets of roundel masks for my next builds, small decals are OK but big ones are a p-i-t-a...)

Magnus
kenner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 03:20 AM UTC
Coming together nicely Magnus

(that last picture really made my day )
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:50 AM UTC
Beautiful painting on both Spits Magnus. It is extremely smooth and is very pleasing to the eye.

Ernest
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 01:13 PM UTC
Kenneth and Ernest! I was stuck with the stencilling yesterday, I hope to have something a bit more interesting to show tonight!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 12:16 PM UTC
OK, not much to show now either: I realised that only Airfix supplies the rather prominent labels located at the prop blade roots meaning I lack five of them for the Xtrakit Spitfire. And there were of course none in the Xtradecal sheet... So digging through the decal library I finally found some Tally Ho Spit XIV stencils that had these marks: in red, not yellow as the Airfix decals...

I'll probably use them anyway, if nothing else it will offer some variation...

One further problem (that I really should have noted and acted upon far earlier) is the wheels: they don't look that good. So I sent an order to Hannants for two sets of Barracuda resin wheels.

And that just about sums up my modelling activities for yesterday !

Magnus
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:17 PM UTC
Hi Magnus, I have had bench sessions like that, and they make me want to reach for a nice cool dark Weizen beer! If it is any help, my bench session last night consisted of filling and sanding too fairly poor fitting engines on a 1/32 He111 build I am working on. Very boring!

Ernest

Quoted Text

OK, not much to show now either: I realised that only Airfix supplies the rather prominent labels located at the prop blade roots meaning I lack five of them for the Xtrakit Spitfire. And there were of course none in the Xtradecal sheet... So digging through the decal library I finally found some Tally Ho Spit XIV stencils that had these marks: in red, not yellow as the Airfix decals...

I'll probably use them anyway, if nothing else it will offer some variation...

One further problem (that I really should have noted and acted upon far earlier) is the wheels: they don't look that good. So I sent an order to Hannants for two sets of Barracuda resin wheels.

And that just about sums up my modelling activities for yesterday !

Magnus

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:43 PM UTC
Ernest! You got to touch the plastic (or at least the putty...) so complaining is NOT allowed !

Is this giant 111-build on-line somewhere?

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:43 PM UTC
Some more work invested but still no major changes !

Both kits got a satin clear-coat preparing them for weathering (I'll probably go for a rather matte final finish later on)...

...and the huge radiators are finally on as well! I have no idea why I waited with them but at least it made it easier to mask and paint the wheel wells!

Magnus
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All major decalling finished (Mal , I'll buy a few sets of roundel masks for my next builds, small decals are OK but big ones are a p-i-t-a...)

It has been said many times, mostly by me I can't use decals, apart from stencil data and that has me cringing!
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hi Magnus, haha, puttying and sanding is one of my least favorite modelling chores and with a build this size there is a lot of plastic coming together!

I have not made enough photos on this project to do a build log justice; and it is a commission build that I promised would be finished by mid-April, so not much time to setup the "photo studio" for shots . After it is complete, I do plan to post some pictures on Aeroscale of the build.

Sincerely,
Ernest

Quoted Text

Ernest! You got to touch the plastic (or at least the putty...) so complaining is NOT allowed !

Is this giant 111-build on-line somewhere?

Magnus

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:14 PM UTC
Magnus,
Your two Spit on a Stick are really coming along quite nicely. As for the wheel issue, AM ones are usually on my must replace list for almost every build I do these days, and that's in 1/48 scale. I'm quite sure that the replacements your orders are world's better then the kit molded ones.

Mal,
Like you, I also cringe at the use of kit stencils decals, as I usually end up with all sorts of flash issues. I've found that the better AM ones tend to produce better and more consistent results.
Joel