_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
AH-1G 1/48
Foxtrot1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Does anyone know who makes a Nam era AH-1G Cobra in 1/48?

Can't seem to find anything in the net.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
I was just looking the other day and concluded there was nothing i was really up for.

there is a Fujimi 1/48 scale AH-1J that can be converted to a G, but the base kit is not all that great (not bad really, but it is old).

I personally would really like a modern kit of a Vietnam era AH-1, but i don't think there are any. Please let me know if you discover otherwise.
Foxtrot1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
That's disappointing. I few years back (2006) I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Monogram AH-1G (132). Didn't do such a good job on it, considering it was my second build. Left home the next year and don't know what happened to it since. I ccan't find that one anywhere either. Hopefully the bring out a new kit soon, even if it is a copy of an old kit. Will let you know if I do come across anything buddy.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 05:39 AM UTC
yeah, i imagine any used ones could be hard to find in South Africa (I lived in Potchefstroom for a year, so i can sympathize with the supply problem there). Even ebay in the USA doesn't have the Monogram/Revell or Fujimi candidates.
Foxtrot1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC
It's a stuff up! There is one store here in Pretoria that has a goof selection. Most hobby shops only focus on RC cars and planes. No one stocks Bronco models (dying to get the M1114 Humvee). I have found a guy in Port Elizabeth that orders in items that are hard to find. I actually found the old Italeri UH-1D "Slick" 1/48 (with the cross-saber on the nose) on BidorBuy. Other than those one or two hard finds, we're very limited here. Potch hey? Best mate of mine studied there. What were you doing in Potch?
DeathfromAbove
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 09:50 PM UTC
Ladies & Gents,

If you yahoo or Google search "legend's hobby" you will find some new 1/48 ah-1g's for sale under the name "seminar models" for $11.98 us dollar. These are basically reboxed Fujimi models only with a more flexable plastic. I know because I went to their store with my $22 Fujimi kit that I bought on eBay and they were an exact match. They are importing them from Asia. They are under sem-FS004. They also carry the uh-1b Fujimi / monogram model under sem-FS005. Cobra company makes the resin kit for the ah-1g which includes a complete cockpit and correct dog house. The kit itself isn't to bad as there are only a few missing exterior corrections but the bonus with the cobra company's kit is a correct minigun turret. With a set of decals from furball model works and four ah-1g's you can start you own platoon of cobras. Now you just need some OH-1a to complete your pink teams. I forget the name of the company in Poland who is selling the loach's but they are a nice kit with recessed panel lines and pe parts. I have 4 of each myself as the furball decals come with 4-5 different aircraft sets. I'll be starting them soon and will post some pic's.
Good hunting,
Chris
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
thanks for the heads up on that. wish they had something else of interest there so that the shipping double the price on that one item.

Doesn't really help Keigan out, since shipping to SA is like $28 and then the VAT adds another 14%

Keigan - I was in Potch working at the university (research job in physics). While I enjoyed the opportunity to see southern Africa (I traveled a lot), I have to say the Potch itself was a little difficult for a big city boy to endure for a year.
Foxtrot1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 12:04 AM UTC
Thanks Chris, I'll see if I can get my contact who orders in bulk for his store to get this one from his supplier. The shipping for that one item will be quite expensive. Vance, I can see how Potch can drive anyone a bit insane if you have to be there longer than a day. Not much more to do other than drink and the cheap student bars.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vance, I can see how Potch can drive anyone a bit insane if you have to be there longer than a day. Not much more to do other than drink and the cheap student bars.

Indeed - I did get quite good at shooting pool though.
 _GOTOTOP