Stuka 3.7 G1/ G2 Help Please!!
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi Guy's,

I am normally a foot slogger & know nothing about aircraft or have reference on any I have the Hasegawa Stuka Kanonenvogel in 1/32 to make & know that Voyager make an update set for it. But I am in need of finding definitive information on which units used them at kursk & markings as neither marking in the kit are for this period. Any information that would also help with super detailing it would be very greatly apprecatied.

Cheers Mike
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 07:19 AM UTC
OK, I hope I'm not discouraging you with markings choices. The SG2 markings will work for Kursk, but the only G-1 was flown by Rudel. The unofficial "G-1" aircraft were D-1 Stuka's fitted with the 3.7cm gun pods but retained the dive drake of the D-1. Also not that the G-1 was in all essence a D-1 with 3.7cm flak 18 and 1000 bomg sling but had the siren and dive brakes removed. Rudel's markings from the G-2 variant can be used but I can't find a photo to confirm how correst they would be. As the G-1 was just entering conversion from the short wing D-1's in June of '43. To note the most the common Tank destroer at Kursk was the Hs129 B-3 and there were also a few JU88 P-1 been utilized.

Short answer is with HASAGAWA G kit use the short wing option, standard stuka camoflage and Rudel's G-2 markings for the codes as he was in command of the squdron at that time. Also of note if you wish one of the other aircraft us the dive brake and short wings from the kit. fi the dive brakes were deleted from the kit you can source them from the D-1 or D-5 HASAGAWA Stukas. HTH Steve
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for that & yes it helps immensely!! Just so I am clear I still leave the dive brakes & siren on as it is still the "unproduced" G1 at that point but remove the bomb sling?

Sorry like I said I know next to nothing about aircraft, thank you very much for your help & reply

Cheers Mike
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 10:59 AM UTC
The 1000lb sling was still on both the G-1 and 2. It was normally left empty but a luftwaffe requirement. the siren housing was still on the landing gear spates and the dive brake were equiped. As they were techniquely D-1's with the 3.7cm attached to wing pylons.
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 01:28 PM UTC
Cool thank you very much for that!! I wasn't sure after having a quick look thru the instructions. And Rudel was the only pilot flying these at the time of Kursk, as I have Idea for a diorama involving the Stuka & a tiger tank.
 _GOTOTOP