_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A question about the Lenape Papoose
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
I've been trying to research the Lenape Papoose 3 cylinder radial engine. My plan, or at least my hope, is to build a 1/48 scale model of the Piper J3P Cub. This was a fairly early attempt to overcome the lack of horsepower which the early model Continental 65 engines had, as the Papoose offered more power.

My question is, as there are no resin copies of the Papoose, I think I might have to do some substituting. I've been comparing pictures of radial engine jugs with that of the Papoose(II found a copy of a general arrangement of the Papoose in an old copy of AOPA Pilot, which had a photo reproduced copy of the blueprints in the issue, and have found, so far, that the closest resemblance to the Papoose jugs are on the Jacobs R755 radial. To my eye, they look "close enough for government work". Or, am I missing something?

I really don't want to ennter this in a contest, it's just that I've always been intrigued by the Papoose Cub. In fact, there are very few models of radial engine powered light planes available(I'm kind of a cranky curmudgeon that way).

I would, however, if anyone wouldn't be offended, like to post pics as I progress in the building of this endeavour, but before I commit to doing this, I'm simply asking for any helpful input(s).

If the Jacobs radial jugs look close enough, the only place it would seem that I could order a Shaky Jake radial is from Engines & Things, unless someone else has a suggestion as to where I could order.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 01:10 AM UTC
What year was the Papoose built?
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 03:17 AM UTC
I don't have all my information in front of me or memorized, but I think, 1937 or 38 was when the J3P was built, although I could be wrong.

But, my question was, could the jugs off a resin Jacobs 755 work, in 1/48 scale?

As I said, I'm not wanting to enter this in a contest, because I doubt that it'd pass the magnifying glass inspections, but as I can't find an actual Papoose in resin, in 1/48 or any other scale, this is the best I could come up with, given the resources I have available.

The next best thing I could do is try to duplicate the actual engine itself, in resin, if I knew how to, which I don't.

If I could learn to, that'd be quite the learning experience for me.

As it is, I think I'll have to "fudge it" a bit.

Any thoughts?
 _GOTOTOP