_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Which Liquid Mask
RolyPoly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 - 02:28 AM UTC
Never used liquid mask for aircraft canopies before. Am abut to do a 1/48 mozzie - my question is which is the best/recommended liquid mask to use?

Cheers
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 - 03:11 AM UTC
They all seem pretty much the same to me.They contain ammonia which can affect some makes of acrylic paint and also Future/Klear if you use that on your canopies.
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 - 05:54 AM UTC
Id just go for Humbrols its cheap and works well . a few tips tho ,, dont use a brush to apply it as its a bit of a pian to clean off just use a cocktail stick also dont leave it on for too long as it can go a bit off i wouldnt leave it more than 24 hours .
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 - 08:05 AM UTC
Vallejo, magic stuff.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 03:57 AM UTC
Find a supplier of carpet-fitting items, and buy liquid latex; it usually comes in sizable quantities, like 5 litres, but works out infinitely cheaper, and, if you decant some into bottles, and sell it to like-minded modellers, yours could end up being free.
The problem with Future (and other floor polishes) is that it contains a binding agent (usually zinc stearate,) which makes the polish impervious to normal household cleaners. This chemical, though, is susceptible to ammonia, which is why the polish can be damaged by Maskol, etc.
I don't know whether acrylic paints contain the same chemical, but it will always pay to check it, with Maskol (or whatever latex you use)on a test strip, before committing it to your precious model.
Edgar
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi Roland
I've tried loads of different liquid masks but I think this one is by far the best,its so easy to use and remove and it dont ruin paint brushes!

and their washes are 1st class as well
HTH
Andy
RolyPoly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 12:15 AM UTC
Thanks to all, some very useful tips/ideas there.

Appreciate it.
 _GOTOTOP