_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
nicest panavia tornado kit in 1:72
mykman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi all,

I`m just wandering , which tornado kit is the most detailed in 1:72 ? I bet the revell but who knows.

Cheers
Karoly
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
If what I've heard is true it will be the Revell kit. Its come out in various boxings with different bits and decals depending on whether its the Luftwaffe or RAF variant. Some of the Luftwaffe special schemes are very nice. Its also fairly cheap. I've got Italeri's desert storm boxing. Quite nice but lacks a lot of the optional weapons that Revell provide. My kit only came with 4 1000lb bombs. I'm pretty sure that currently they box it with decals for RAF, Luftwaffe and Italy.
As far as I know no-one has the current GR4. Airfix included the relevant bits and weapons in their old kit a few years ago. I have no idea about the quality of this kit compared to others or current availability as it is not in this years catalogue.
Airfix and Hasegawa do have an F3. The Hasegawa is probably the better kit, but is more than twice the asking price of the Airfix (£30+) and if its anything like other Hasegawa jets I have done it will lack any underwing stores. They will have to sourced those from other kits. Someone may be able to correct me on that. Revells F3 is quite nice but currently unavailable, it might turn up on ebay. Matchbox also made an F3 and it turns up from time to time on ebay too. Its one of their later kits so might be worth a look, just don't expect much.
It has to be said for such an important modern jet we are not very well served at the present time. I would certainly look at the Revell kit for starters.
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 01:57 PM UTC
Karoly,
If you look to the best Tornado in 72, you need to buy the Revell kit
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hello all,
I read somewhere that te Revell 1/72 Tornado is slightly smaller than 1/72 (it's about 1/76).
Anybody can confirm?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 08:16 AM UTC
Not sure and its the first I've heard of it. Considering how good they often turn out that's a minor quibble.
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC
First time I hear about a scale issue with this kit. Anyway, bear in mind that the Tornado is pretty small aircraft.
About the kit - even in 1/72 it's a great little kit, the only confirmed problem is the nose landing gear leg, being short as in take-off, powering up, position. The kit has also great support from the aftermarket companies, such as Eduard with beautiful detail set. The only problem for me - no British, Gulf War, nose-art decals.
 _GOTOTOP