_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Make your own wing jigs
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 04:31 PM UTC
Greetings all, I thought we might share some of our "homemade wing jigs" with fellow modelers. The first is probably the easiest jig. The Fokker E.V / D.VIII top wing attachment.

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen
Thanks for the info you previously gave me on the Eduard 1/48 Fokker E.V. I'm up to the part of attaching the wing and struts but it seems that I have ran into a brick wall! I've been attempting to position things in place but it is VERY difficult.

Any pointers that you can give me as to making it easier in attaching the wing? Too bad Eduard did not include a jig to help align things.

Thanks,

easy-peasy. Take a square of flat plastic card stock. Note the centerline above the fuselage and the long axis wing strut contacts on the card.

Cut holes in it to match the strut sockets on the underside of the wing. Then place the card on the top of the struts, so that the struts can dry in the fuselage at the correct angles. Patience here. Once the struts are cured in the fuelage sockets take the card off the top of the sutruts and simply attach the top wing.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 04:37 PM UTC
Here is one Wingnut used on his WNW Alb. D.Va.

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi Stephen
Useful jig!
It will aid in location of the float struts on my review build which will be finished soon.
 _GOTOTOP