_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Composition of AT-6 flaps: fabric, metal?
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 08:13 PM UTC
Doing the Revell AT-6 for the Finescale Natural Metal Group Build. Am stumped on something simple - not for the first time. The flaps can be deployed if you want - and why not? None of my planes have flaps down. (Most photos show the flaps neutral but a few are down.) Actually for the main purpose it doesn't matter. I'm not sure what they were made of. The major control surfaces were fabric - as is obvious on the mold. The top of the wing over the flaps has rivets galore so I'd take that to be metal. The flaps themselves, show some kind of frame on the inside but are smooth on the bottom. Be nice to know what the flaps were made of because non-metal surfaces won't be NMS, they'll have metallic paint and like the major control surfaces will look different. (I know there was a big push to put as much plywood into the AT-6 as possible early in the war, but the Revell is clearly a metal plane. Anyway, knowing what these gizmos are made of will determine what color is used. And I don't have the slightest idea how people made Texans. (I have the Osprey book and it's full of factoids but doesn't discuss flaps.) Help appreciated.

Eric
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
The Revellogram T-6 is a T-6G. By the time the G model came around, the flaps were sheet metal.
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 10:32 AM UTC
Thankee much. I may leave them up. I can't find a single US photo with them down, although foreign services seemed to have done it. Pity: the pieces actually fit pretty well. Less masking though.

Eric
 _GOTOTOP