_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Pegasus Models Biplanes advice needed
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi guys
I'm looking for any quidance anyone can give me on building Pegasus models 1/72 WW1 kits. As most on this forum have quite a few more biplanes under their belts I was wondering if anyone had tackled them before.
I have the Spad VII and Bristol F2B. Very nice kits but both need a little scratch building to complete. Namely in the form of the aircrafts wing struts from the kit supplied strut strip. The instructions provide template and judging by some reviews I've read can be trusted to some extent.
Now in the Spad the eight main wing struts are provided in white-metal, so assuming they are the correct length they should be a breeze. Only the cabane struts need making.
Its the Brisfit which gives me the most headaches. Every strut, and I do mean EVERY, needs scratching. Quite complicated given the tiny struts between the lower wing and fuselage. I thing this one and their Gunbus look to be the most complex.
So what would be the best way to approach this kit? And does anyone have good suggestions on accurate plans for both aircraft?
Thanks
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 08:14 PM UTC
Stephen

Hi and I hope this helps.

Theres a product around called Strutz I think, basically brass airofiol section. I'm not sure if or where its still available from but Guru's like Jackflash may be able to point you in the right direction.

Another option is to use brass rod and or tube, squished to more of an airofiol section, Very strong, I used this method to construct Albie cabanes in 1/32nd scale. I don't do 1/72nd, my fingers are too old and fat.

Keith
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 05:10 AM UTC
Cheers Keith,
I was looking at Strutz on the weekend at Telford but I'd ran out of cash by that point. If I get more into biplanes I may envest in a pack.
If I remember correctly I have got some plastic strut somewhere thats bound to be better than the thin stuff in the kit. Thats if I can find it.
What would be a big help are some good 1/72 plans of the Brisfit to help me get struts cut correctly and lined up. Should also help me make a jig.
This isn't a project I'm anywhere near ready to start, just getting my homework done first and the Spad seems the easiest of the two to start with.
 _GOTOTOP