_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/48 Dragon or Eduard BF110-D/E
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 12:05 PM UTC
Santa needs a little help choosing a BF-110. As I'd have to buy a mask for the DML (CyberHobby I guess) the price is the same as a Profipack 110. As I understand it, the DML has engines, but an enclosed front end and with the Eduard it's the reverse. I've learned that if something can be displayed a conservative choice is to display it. (I did major surgery on a Eduard FW-190 to button a front end designed to be displayed - would have been a cinch to have left it open.) I've read that one would need to do the same on their 110.) The idea of displaying one of the engines is interesting even if it shoves the part count up. Anyone out there who has experience with either or both of these offerings?
Shanghaied
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 06:15 PM UTC
I have built the Dragon Bf-110 and I really like it.
Mine is built it with only one engine open. The nose with the guns can be shown open too.
The details are great, the casting is great, the canopy is great, (options for open and closed), I really like the result.

However there seems to be something wrong with the engine side panels. I had the feeling they were 2 mm too narrow, resulting in some puttying and loss of detail. I can look for the part number if you are interested.
The instructions are CAD made, but as usual too small, really had to study it with a magnifier. Dragon tends to produce really small fiddly parts in plastic, which probably would be better in PE.

I would not worry too much about the canopy masks. I hate that masking, too, but this canopy has a quite regular framing and is easy to mask.

Cheers

Tom

_GOTOTOP